Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those wanting to use an explorer motor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those wanting to use an explorer motor...

In addition to the all the other stuff that needs changing the oil filter adapter from the explorer won't work. And when it is removed, you can't just spin a filter on. F1AZ-6890-B shpould be the correct PN for the proper adapter/bung. What PITA. that is keeping me from starting the motor right now....
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

what? wehy?

Comment

What else needs to be changed besides the filter?
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

The threads that your oil filter screw into is actuallyan adapter that is screwed into the block. It is cheap and easily screws in using the proper size allen wrench.

Comment

Well, basically everything that isn't the block or heads gets changed. Intake requires some minor mods also. No big deal.

Valve Covers
          Oil pan
          Oil pump pickup
          oil filter adapter
          timing cover
          balancer

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            F1AZ-6890-B shpould be the correct PN Intake requires some minor mods also.
            I just verified that I used the F1AZ-6890-B on at least 2 or 3 of the Explorer motors I have used so far. I never bothered to drill the intake for the Air Temp sensor. I just zip tied it out of the way and away from engine heat. Not exactly ideal, but it worked. Depending on what lower you use, it may or may not have the boss cast in that you can drill. Mine didn't.

Comment

You could probably stick that intake air temp sensor in the tube between the air filter and throttle body if you extended the wiring a bit. It would probably be slightly more accurate as it would be actual airstream temp, tho it would read a bit cooler than air in the intake itself, so the fuel table would be a little skewed. Probably wouldn't be really detrimental tho.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also, the edges of the upper intake hit the fuel rail. Had to grind those down for it to fit. The vacuum tree will not fit either, so be ready to completely redo the vacuum system.

Comment

I'm currently in the process of installing a GT-40P from a 1998 Explorer into my 1989 Crown Victoria station wagon- I'm picking it up this Saturday.

Why do the valve covers not fit if the valve covers are from the same motor? Would a phenolic spacer allow the necessary clearance?

Are you using the Explorer fuel rail? Again, I don't see why they wouldn't fit unless there is a problem when you turned the upper intake 180*, assuming that is what you did to keep the stock throttle cable location.

Do you have any more details on the vacuum tree? I've redone my entire vacuum system three or four times, so far, so I'm not unfamiliar with it, but any information you could provide would be great.

Finally, I've heard you went with BBK headers and they had the necessary spark plug clearances. Do you have the part number so I can try to score a set used and not get stuck paying $300 for new FRPP headers?

Thanks in advance!!
                  2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                  1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                  1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

welcome to GMN
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Oh, yeah- I guess I could have introduced myself.

Driving a 1989 Crown Victoria station wagon. I was in the process of a T5 swap (gathering parts, preparing pedal assemblies and such) when my oil pump (or something vital) decided to go on vacation.

So now, I'm also swapping a new engine. If I'm going with a new engine, might as well make it worth-while, yes? Custom cam to be ordered tomorrow, along with better valve springs. Other than that, it'll be stock until I can switch to roller rockers. I'm hoping that'll be enough power (any of you know what HP these things make?) to satisfy me until I finish the build (air ride suspension, PI swaybars, selectable locker, etc). At that point, I'll decide whether I want more, which would be supplied by a turbo- but I'm not really even thinking much about that at this point in time.

BTT
                      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Welcome to GMN. Wagons=teh win
                        Nick
                        88 Colony Park LS
                        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                          Why do the valve covers not fit if the valve covers are from the same motor?
                          Do you have any more details on the vacuum tree? I've redone my entire vacuum system three or four times, so far, so I'm not unfamiliar with it, but any information you could provide would be great.

not get stuck paying $300 for new FRPP headers?
                          Why would you pay $300 when Summit has them for $239?
                          CV and Explorer valve covers are the same height. The vacuum tree under the intake is a little different on the Explorer upper. Not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                            ? Custom cam to be ordered tomorrow, along with better valve springs. Other than that, it'll be stock until I can switch to roller rockers. I'm hoping that'll be enough power (any of you know what HP these things make?) to satisfy me
                            What are the specs on your cam?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                              What are the specs on your cam?
                              Hopefully smaller than the TFS Stage 1 he was looking at first....
                              FOR SALE: 89 Grand Marquis GS HO. Quarter mile = 15.8 @ 87mph -- pics http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car...rcycl/mercury/

Junkyard HO, MSD wires, stock Mustang headers, off-road H, Hemi Super Turbos. 3.55 trac loc, HO governor and servo in stock rebuilt AOD. 3-row rad, air pump delete, cop rear bar, wagon rear springs, 93 CV rear discs, 98-02 Grand Marquis wheels, Class 3 hitch, aluminum space-saver spare.

Coming soon: 98-02 front brakes, cop springs, Monroe cop shocks, 96 Cobra wheels w/255/50/17. Better yet, need a nice wagon to put all that stuff in.

Comment

Working...
                              X