R12 or R134? '86 Tudor 5.0 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigT View Post
    Oh my goodness...you could sell them for a mint now! But if you don't R12 works much better, meaning cooler, than R134. Just make sure your seals are good, hate to see all that R12 gas evaporate.
    +1 That's another reason why I didn't want to refill with R-12. The shop was fairly confident that there were no leaks when they vacuumed the system down, but I didn't want to spend three and a half times as much for R-12 over 134a to have it leak out. The 134a does a pretty damn good job, in my opinion. For the small difference in temperature, I couldn't justify the price difference between the two. The 134a still freezes my ass out of the car.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

small difference? try r-12 in 100+ degree heat. It'll still blow below 50 degrees. 134a will at best get down to about 60. I still remember frost blowing out of the vents in my grandparent's car because they would turn the AC on when it was only 75 outside.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've driven the car in 90+ degree heat this summer. Cools more than adequately, in my opinion. In fact, I've had to dial the temp up just because it gets TOO cold. This is coming from a guy who has his house set at 62 during the winter. Probably depends a lot on how good of condition the overall system is in too. Mine has barely any mileage/time on it. If you've got R-12 handy, by all means, go with it. That's what the system was designed for. All I am saying is, I've got no complaints from my R-134 charged system. Do I care if the system blows 40 degrees or 38 degrees? Nope. Still freezes my balls either way.
        Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM.
        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

My opinion after having taken summer trips across the country and living in a scorching hot desert: stick with 134a unless you live way down in the sun belt. If you're talking highs in the mid 90's...heck even 100's, a properly set up 134a system does really well in my opinion. It's in the severe duty situations and especially idleing at stop lights and the like that r-12 really makes a huge difference over a 134a retrofit.

134a was a joke in my wagon in the summer heat. Mainly idleing and getting into a car that had been sitting in the desert sun for half a day. R12 still does not match newer cars in keeping my family happy - mainly because of the lack of rear vents - but it blows so much colder in these extreme situations. If you're not in Texas, Arizona, South Florida or the desert of California, probably don't need the r-12. Also - sedans cool a whole lot quicker than wagons. Tint helps a bunch too.
          Last edited by drhill; 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM.
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I guess the moral of the story is YMMV.
            Nick

Comment

134a is definitely "enough" for most situations. But when the temps get over 100 it takes a lot longer for it to cool the cab than the old R12. temps below 95, my 88 in all it's hacked up glory will managed to make my feet chilled by the time I get home (10-12 minutes). Above 100... I'm barely starting to get cool by the time I get home.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The price on R12 is actually coming down. There is far less demand for it than there was say 10 years ago. I just checked Craigslist and a number of people are selling cans for not huge money. One guy is getting $17.50 a can for it. Thats actually cheap enough that I may go buy some and un-convert my Towncar. The underdrive pullies really make AC performance suck at idle.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X