Engine problem? Need help badly :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    With these, there are a lot of codes that do not set the check engine light. Using that to determine if it needs checking doesn't really work so well. I really would like to see a chart of what codes kick the light on vs which ones just store. I know some Egr codes trip it, and if the TPS fails that also will make it come on. Outside of that, I don't really know.
    Ya, I should have made it clear that codes can be set without the check engine light coming on. You can have problems that trigger a code and the check engine light, problems that trigger a code but not the check engine light, and problems that don't trigger either a code or the check engine light. If you have a code reader, then it probably wouldn't matter what the check engine light says since you would be looking for codes no matter what. The car manufacturers would have to have some kind of documentation regarding which codes trigger the check engine light and which don't, so I guess it would be a matter of whether, or how far, they've let that information get out.

One question I have for the OP is: If you had really been trying to start the engine in various gears, on what basis had you decided to do that?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      ... I have seen these transmissions fail internally in such a way that it was always in gear or under load. It was on my car, and happened after I set the car on fire. ...
      And you set your car on fire because ... ???

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

fuel leak that I didn't see. It was not on purpose, though perhaps it was a sign from the great beyond that the entire ownership experience would be similarly frustrating.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Figured it out everyone, ended taking it to a mechanic and just wanted to post this for future reference.

Turns out the second gear in my transmission basically mutilated itself from what I understand, which DID cause the torque converter locked up. I had the transmission rebuilt for a hefty sum of cash and the torque converter replaced and now she runs smoother than ever before.

Cheers and thanks for the help everyone. <3
          -Verditure.

Comment

Originally posted by Verditure View Post
            Figured it out everyone, ended taking it to a mechanic and just wanted to post this for future reference.

Turns out the second gear in my transmission basically mutilated itself from what I understand, which DID cause the torque converter locked up. I had the transmission rebuilt for a hefty sum of cash and the torque converter replaced and now she runs smoother than ever before.

-Verditure.
            It's always nice to know how things turned out, though it's too bad that it ended up being an expensive problem. Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

That sucks. The direct clutch assembly must have somehow welded itself together. Thats definitely not one of the common failure modes, but with a proper rebuild you should be good to go for a long time.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Verditure View Post

-Verditure.
                Did Dad treat you to an I told you so or was he gracious to you? Does sound like a rather unusual chain of events. Glad you got it figured out but sorry for the $$$. These automatic trannies can sure eat up the cash when they come undone.

mike

Comment

A bad throttle valve cable bushing will make a AOD transmission quickly fail like that.
                  Make sure the TV cable is connected so that it doesn't happen again.

Comment

Working...
                  X