Low idle and engine cutout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low idle and engine cutout

On my '86 Grand Marquis with apparently 40k original miles, it will start right up immediately when cold and then within a short time the idle is low / running rough and then the engine shuts right off. I just replaced the IAC today and it made no difference at all.

When this happens, you can start it right back up again immediately with no problem and then the cycle begins all over until the engine shuts off again.

Ideas? Thanks.
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Did you clean the ports the IAC attaches into and in addition the TB?? Have had some goofy results with non0OEM parts so use Motorcraft for the IAC, TPS, etc...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Has the car been sitting for a while?
      I park my 88 Town Car every year from November to May, and when I first start it in the spring, it does the same thing. Sometimes only for a day or two, other times for over a week but it always straightens itself up on it's own once it starts getting used more frequently.
      It may just need an idle screw adjustment to get it sorted out.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks....I will check these things out when the weather is not so hot. We've had a lot of heat and humidity here lately.

And yes, the car was doing a lot of sitting before I got it.
        David
        1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
        14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Working...
        X