Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank replaced , now fuel coming out of filler neck around turns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Sly said, the gas cap has an "o ring" type seal on it and it's probably broken or missing. I've replaced a lot of tanks. The box tanks are prone to rusting from the inside out and so are the filler necks!! You'd have gas leaking off the bottom of the tank or neck if it had a hole in the neck. Since the gas is sloshing all the way up to the inner quarter panel, it's most likely the cap.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ordered a new cap from Rock auto waiting on that.
      Mine still had the rubber gasket on it and i moved it around, and it seemed to help. No more leak, but can still smell Fumes from back in that area.
      So is that the cap still venting?
      Also one person PM'd me to see if the check valve was still inside the filler neck?? Is that true?

Comment

never heard of such a thing in the filler neck. Baffles to prevent siphoning, but not a check valve. The cap could be venting (which is bad... it should only let air in, not out), so if you change it and the new cap still "vents", then it's probably a rust hole in the filler neck itself. Probably under the upper rubber seal (back side of where the filler neck mounts on the quarter panel) right near the mounting lip seam or between the rolled layers at the top near the cap. Hopefully a new cap will sort it. Getting a new filler neck into a wagon requires lowering the tank a little to clear the body seams.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly
          Thnx
          So if it is the filler neck . Does the wagon and the 4 door use the same filler neck?
          Or can the filler neck even be bought?

Comment

nope. Different neck. And nope. You'll have to find one on ebay, old stock, or most likely WagonMan. He has such a large stash of parts, he'll probably be the best bet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have pulled several necks that looked good from the outside but were rusty as a hoe on the inside. I also had issues with the "FillerNeckSupply" company on my boxes b/c their stock of necks were mis-identified. Get ready for a making a few "yard runs" if you need a neck.

Comment

Working...
              X