Is fuel pressure ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is fuel pressure ok?

I checked the fuel pressure in the 91 GM.

Here is what I got.
    test HAYNES SPECS 2002 and earlier
    KOEO 34 SPEC 35-45

KOER 38-39 SPEC 30-45
    vac hose attached

KOER
    unplugged vac hose 42 SPEC 40-50

hold pressure after
    5 minutes 39 SPEC less than 5 psi from operating pressure

10 minutes 38
    15 minutes 26
    30 minutes 32

Should I be concerned about the KOEO test?

Thank you,
    Mike
    Last edited by stinkydogfilms; 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

off by 1psi? nah. That's within the tolerance of the gauge.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about that at all.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks again SLY. and GADGET73
        The reason I did the fuel test again is

Today I put the DS O2 sensor on and connected to the pigtail that has been hiding for a couple of years. The previous sensor was connected by wire to the PS O2 sensor.
        This got rid of the 91 code. I still had the 34 and 73 codes.

I also connected the small hose on the smog pump ( the one that exits the smog pump on the battery side) to the line coming out the front of the intake manifold. Previously the vacum hose from the front of the intake led to the solednoid going to the charcoal canister.

I went for a test drive and still had a miss at more than light throttle. I was able to circle the neighborhood 3 times about 5-6 miles total. Even stopped at a couple of red lights and it idled fine. I got up to 40-45 mph. The only bad miss came just before the change of gears or and got worse and backfired if I gave it more gas. It sees like I could drive okay if I used a light throttle.

I got back home and hoping to clear the 34 code I decided to put the old (less than 6 months) EGR valve and the attached sensor, (also less than 6 months) back on. When I took the EGR valve off I found a piece of foam/rubber, rubber
        band size stuck in the pin that pushes the EGR valve open. This was keeping the valve from opening freely.

I then set the timing between 10-12 with the SPOUT DISCONNECTED. I reconnected the SPOUT connector.

I took another KOER reading with the scanner and came up with a
        CODE 13 saying the
        idle rpms are too low.
        and came up with a
        CODE 18 saying the
        SPOUT connector is disconnected. It is plugged in.

I adjusted the idle up a little more and
        I decided to go for a test drive. I got two blocks away. I could tell the miss was still there, a little worse than the earlier test drive. My LOW FUEL light came on and the car suddenly lost all power. I thought I may be out of gas. I had a 140 MPH speedometer put in and do not know the accuracy of the fuel gauge yet. It cut off. I coasted into a u turn. I tried to start it and on the second try it started and I limped back toward home. It cut off again and I coasted a block home and stopped in front of my house. I tried to start it again. It seemed like it was out of gas. It started on the third try, so I pulled into the driveway. I took the van to the store and got 5 gallons of 93 octane fuel to put into the GM. After putting the gas in, it did not want to start nor did I hear the fuel pump hum. I was thinking the fuel pump must be shot. It is only2-3 years old though.
        I wiggled around the box that holds the fuel pump relay and her the fuel pump hum. I then took the fuel pressure test both KOEO and HOER.
        I guess the FPR and the fuel pump are okay.
        I have the battery disconnected for overnight and will pick back up tomorrow. Going to check the fuel relay switch tomorrow. It gave me problems in the past and the car would not idle or want to run. I always carried a spare fuel pump relay switch. I'd swap it out and be good to go again.

I also sprayed around the vacuum lines and connectors before the first test drive. No result. The idle did not change.
        Tonight I also looked at the plug wires at dark. I didn't see any sparks. I then sprayed water on the wires and got no response until I saturated the wires.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

that port on the smog pump is supposed to be open. move the line back to the evap purge solenoid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

what he said. There are actually 2 small connections on the smog pump. The one pointing straight out from the pump should be open. The other loops into the cruise control stuff to provide extra vacuum when the engine is under load.

The idle is not adjustable. That is not an idle speed screw, and should not be used for one. If the idle is too low, the IAC is not working correctly. If the screw is cranked too far out, the TPS ends up out of range and the ECM can't properly control the idle speed.

If you're getting funny ignition related codes, and then it quit, I'm thinking the TFI or the pickup quit on you. It happens sometimes. Check for spark. That will be the tell.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget73 and Sly you guys still bat 100% on fixing my car. Gadget73 it WAS the TFI module. Yesterday for the crap of it I put an old TFI module on and the car ran great. The smoothest it has been in months. I got about 2 happy miles from the house and it died and refused to start back up at the stop light in the middle of the right turn lane. I called AAA as a cop turned the corner. Cop didn't come back. A neighbor pulled up at the light and pushed me a few blocks to a side street. AAA showed up and was wondering why I was smiling. Because I now knew it was the TFI as Gadget said. After AAA got me home I put the shitty TFI module on and it started up and ran like crap. Now I was convinced it had been a bad TFI module. Another neighbor came out and was wondering why I was happy with AAA towing me home. So I bought a TFI module and put it on this afternoon. I have driven the car in the neighborhood for about 45 minutes with many stops and got on the main street a few times so I could shift into 3rd. No missing and no cutting out of the engine. I thank you two and everybody who have offered advice. I replaced every sensor, spark plugs twice, put the stock distributor cap and stock plug wires back on. The crappy TFI was a Petronix and only a few months old. Gone are the MSD plug wires, MSD dist cap, my home made air induction and the chip by GFORCE. Hello to Motorcraft plugs, wires and distributor cap. I'm keeping the Petronix coil for now and keeping a new Motorcraft coil and 2 NOS Motorcraft TFI modules for spares as well as all of the sensors and relays I replaced. Something kept telling me it was electrical but with the TFI and PIP sensor new, I did not think the impossible was possible. I now have a pretty good tune including replacing the fuel injectors. Now to get the brake light and horn working. I saw the thread on the brake lights and will use that information. I LOVE YOU GUYS, MAN!
              Many THANKS again,
              Mike

Comment

Cool, glad you got it going

Comment

Working...
                X