Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas filler neck problems?

Hi everyone,

Got a quick question; Is it normal for the gas pump spout to not fit in the filler neck all the way? On Ashley's 89 & my 88 TC the spout only goes down about 2-3 inches in the hole but on my 85 LTD it went all the way in. Problem with this is that almost every time I go to get gas the damn pump always shuts off or gas comes spurting up out of the neck and all over the paint, it's like there's something in the neck but both cars are the same way. What gives?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'll just note that I've never had an issue with the nozzle not going in as far as I'd be comfortable with, and that the following link might be somewhat insightful with respect to gas pump behavior:

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I only get about 4 inches on any vehicle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I live in NJ. Our fuel pumps have these big stupid vapor guards on them and we're not supposed to pump our own gas. I do at the RV lanes at the truck stop, but the big vapor thing keeps it from going in all that far anyway. I rarely gas up out of state because its more expensive. I do know if you try and shove the nozzle in too far it kicks the pump out. Not sure if thats the anti-siphon thing or what but it doesn't seem to like to be bottomed out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
          Until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'll just note that I've never had an issue with the nozzle not going in as far as I'd be comfortable with, and that the following link might be somewhat insightful with respect to gas pump behavior:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...le-pumping-gas
          Wow, so apparently this is a common thing. I've only had issues with these cars. Firebird or Fury, no problems but these Fords it's like there's a metal tab and the nozzle rams into it. I was going to pull one at the yard and look to see where the hang up is. I've spent the past twelve or so years using the lowest auto fill setting and then checking fluids so it's going to be weird getting used to not doing that. It does seem that inverting the pump handle does help as does only sticking an inch or so in but then I'm left having to man the pump and well, I'm a multitasker dammit! OH well. Another bitch is, <230mi tank range sucks ass. C'mon Ford, would it really have turned customers away to sacrifice a few cubic feet of trunk space for a few more gallons of gas??

Comment

I have rarely had problems with my 80's-96 Panthers in filling up. The problems were when I was in Ca. Most stations have the vapor recovery stuff. I always had problems with that.
            My 05 TC had a defect in the gas filling tube area. It always spit gas out here in Maine,unless it was filled very slowly. Dealer fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              ... I was going to pull one at the yard and look to see where the hang up is. ...
              U-pull yards are great for that sort of thing.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Exactly. Last year though I spent way too much time at yards in sub zero temps with snow covering everything and it's a pain in the ass. The memories of frozen fingers, dampness, tools that got wet and rusted over still haunt me. Debating if I'm crazy enough this year to make the same "mistake."

Comment

there's supposed to be an anti-gas-siphon tab in the filler neck to keep siphon hoses from getting into the tank. That may be the tab you're running into.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I have same problem with my 87. Can only get the nozzle in about three inches or so. Pump kicks off several times before tank is full. After about the fourth or fifth time in done dicking with it whether it's full or not.
                    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

My Towncar does the exact same thing..I've just gotten used to it lol

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                      1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Mine works if you pull the nozzle out a bit. it has to be in there just right or it won't fill. Filling too fast is also out. No more than the first click on the pump.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Feels like it's barely sittin in there the way it is. I'd hate to pull it out even more and have it fall out and piss fuel all over but maybe I will give it a try next time.
                          Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                          Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                          Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                          Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Yeah that's how I feel about it. I'll try to pull it out a little bit next time and see what happens.

Comment

for those that have click-off issues... back out just half an inch if that much. it does make a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X