Did something really dumb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did something really dumb.

I was backing out of a parking spot and the shifter accidentally went into park and i heard about 5-7 clicks from which I believe is the parking pawl. Could anyone tell me how bad that is for the trans? I know this part is supposed to be sorda delicate. I parked the car on level ground just in case.

1986 Grand Marquis LS - coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

That was the parking prawl.

Sure, that isnt good to do, but that is why it clicks like that...

You should be ok...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Don't worry. There is a small lever that just falls into a series of notches on the last clutch housing in the tranny. If you are moving when it gets released (put into P) it just bounces out of the notches. Not good to keep doing it because it could theoreticaly break the lever, or even the housing. But you would instantly know id anything serious did happen.

I;ve done one worse than that. I had the Vic on a lift and was testing for vibrations when I was done I shut it off and I put it in P and the wheels were still coasting at over 25mph. And that is the tranny that is in my Vic right now, not even nicks on the housing or the lever. So you should be fine!

Comment

thanks, makes me feel much better. Tranny only has 74,000 and was just serviced a year ago.

1986 Grand Marquis LS - coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Working...
        X