81 ltd 5.0 stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 ltd 5.0 stuff

ok so im going to get the car drivable in the coming months after i finish some work on my F250.

what the car needs:
    the carb rebuilt or replaced (open to aftermarket options here?)
    new exhaust (currently very restrictive single exhaust, would like to do true duals)
    brakes(they work but not very good)
    bushings/shocks
    crude and ugly emissions stuff removed that most likely doesnt work (no testing in FL)

the car will not be a daily a daily driver so what do y'all recommend? im gathering ideas at this point. once i get it driving safely ill focus on getting the body work and top fixed up.

this is what i got to work with under the hood....

Exhaust...

Aaron
    2019 Ford F250, XLT, FX4 6.7L PSD, crew cab long bed.
    2004 Ford F250, Lariat, FX4, 6.0L PSD, crew cab short bed, deleted and tuned! sold!
    1995 Ford F150, XL, regular cab long bed, swapped 351w, custom long travel suspension, some more stuff...(sold!)
    1981 Ford LTD coupe, 302w, soon to be coyote swapped

Looks good under the hood(condition wise). Interesting that it is a carburetor setup. Mostly was a canadian thing.

After removing the emissions crap, good tune up and go through the brakes/suspension, will have a good driver. Trick is to keep it simple and not get carried away with more "project type" directions. Reliability is what you want.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

4 bbl intake, 4bbl aftermarket carb, air cleaner, headers, down pipe, mufflers, over the axle piping, plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

The 10 step program to making your box, a slightly less choked and outdated 80s luxury car.

Also looks like your rear main seal is pretty goop'd up.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

one of or both of the valve covers are leaking so that probably where most of the oil is coming from. wouldnt surprise me if the rear main leaked also, the 302 that used to be in my f150 had a leaky rear main seal...

one of my friends may have a 4 bbl intake and carb he may have for me, he's got a bunch of mustang parts and some spare 302's... i gotta give him a call...

the A/C hasn't worked in the car as far back as i can remember ad a kid. my grandma would take my cousin, and i places in the car in the middle of july in Ft Worth TX. 110-115 degree heat and no A/C
        Aaron
        2019 Ford F250, XLT, FX4 6.7L PSD, crew cab long bed.
        2004 Ford F250, Lariat, FX4, 6.0L PSD, crew cab short bed, deleted and tuned! sold!
        1995 Ford F150, XL, regular cab long bed, swapped 351w, custom long travel suspension, some more stuff...(sold!)
        1981 Ford LTD coupe, 302w, soon to be coyote swapped

Comment

My advice to you is do not rebuild the VV carb but get a direct replacement if you can. If you can't get a direct replacement start looking around for a good reputable carb rebuild shop that has succeded in rebuilding VV carbs or contact Nathen in Mi he is on this site and he can help you out he has done a rebuild on the VV carb.

Comment

Remove the VV carb (if it has one) and take it onto a boat to the middle of the ocean.
            Throw it overboard, come home and put a 4 barrel on there.
            If it has the 2150 Motorcraft, get rid of that too but disposing of that in a more conventional manner is acceptable.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

save the throttle lever. It will be needed for most any replacement to keep the correct geometry for the TV rod/cable.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X