Performance question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance question?

I have an 87 mgm tudor.. 5.0, 3.27s in the rear with 14 inch tires, my question is, even with a crappy transmission, should i be able to spin the tires off of a stopsign at all? My car seems to be a turd. what would I do to Bring more power back or get more from the car for cheap

spin in the wet no issue... not so much in the dry, even with an open diff. The stock engines are all turds. Dual exhaust and a clean air filter, fuel filter, good plugs/wires/cap/rotor, injector/fuel system cleaner, good oil (10w30) and maybe an Italian tune up.

really gettin any real power out of these pretty much requires changing top end parts and possibly the cam as well. There's a lot of junk yard part options for this, but some wiring will be required if the cam changes.
    Last edited by sly; 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

italian tune up? whats that?

Comment

put it in D (not OD) and hit the highway and let it cook at 2500-3000RPM to help blow the carbon out the engine and cats.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ahh thanks, ive been driving at liek 3500 rpm unbeknownst to me untill recently, so no carbon issue i think

Comment

Tune up, synthetic oil in engine/trans/diff, take off the smog pump/ac belt, have catless downpipes made and use a performance muffler. That's about as good as it'll get with a 100% stock engine. I'd suggest lower axle gears but 3.27 isn't bad (most guys have 2.73 or maybe 3.08) and it'll get good highway mileage too. If you do almost all city, consider 3.73 or 4.10 gears to really get it moving. With all of that it'll still be slow but as long as it runs well it'll get good mileage but have decent pull and it'll cruise nice.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
            X