Random shutdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random shutdown?

Okay, so i was driving to school today, and i rolled up to a stop sign, and started to turn and take off, not hard i promise, and it coughed and died, Could not get it to start for ten minutes, key wouldnt work at all, found my ignition fuse was blown, and tried starting it and would cycle now, checked timing and was off like 4 degrees, I have a brand new ignition system,(dizzy, IAC, Plugs/ wires, ect) What could have caused this? and it frequently dies when trying to turn the wheel when stopped at a stop sign or at idle

timing checked with the SPOUT jumper removed?
    also, thermal grease used on the ignition module on the distributor?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yes and yes. it was 4 degrees after TDC.

Comment

Originally posted by 87merc View Post
        ..and it frequently dies when trying to turn the wheel when stopped at a stop sign or at idle
        Getting a bunch of resistance from the powersteering pump maybe?? Try disconnecting the accessories and then see what happens?
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

will do. i recently added fluid to the pump, might be part of the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 87merc View Post
            yes and yes. it was 4 degrees after TDC.
            I think I have mine set to 10 degrees before TDC.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

ReferING to op's other post, setting timing properly will make it less of a "turd"....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

On Ashley's 89 TC I put the distributor on after changing the TFI module without paying attention and the timing was a tooth retarded. Don't know how many degrees off that amounts to or if that's better than being too advanced but it started and idled fine, did tons of maneuvering in the backyard at idle/stopped and it didn't stall or even faulter..
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

4 ATDC is WAY off.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah i know, when i sat it when i put it in, it was at like 12 degrees before tdc and still had the stalling issue.. could it be the fuel filter

Comment

if the fuel filter hasn't been changed in 20-30K miles or longer, change it. It's probably clogged.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X