Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 Grand Marquis Cleaned EGR, now high idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 Grand Marquis Cleaned EGR, now high idle...

So, my 87 GM failed Smog. (California) At first, it passed on emissions, but failed on visual due to a broken vacuum line, and one disconnected. (Just replaced the smog pump, must have forgot to reconnect that line.) Then after getting the vacuum lines in order, it passed on visual but failed on emissions. That's annoying. High NO, so EGR seems the most likely culprit...

Pulled the EGR valve, and it really looks fine. Moves with vacuum applied, very little buildup. The plate it attaches to, however, was mostly clogged. No good way to clear that without pulling it off, so a couple new gaskets and a couple hours later, its so much cleaner. (I didn't expect to find a water passage right there, but no biggie.)

Start it up and it seems to be running great, but the idle is high. Not undriveable high, but high. Which leads to my question...

I thought the computer controlled the idle on these things... No?

It does, but if you have a vacuum leak it will idle high. Check the sealing surfaces on the EGR spacer. If something is funny there, it will suck air past the idle control motor and the idle can't be controlled. Any other vacuum leaks will do the same thing.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you still have to smog your car ? I thought that stopped after 25 years. I hate that F***ing State, their regulations and their toilet water!
      Last edited by Mainemantom; 06-18-2015, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Do you still have to smog your car ? I thought that stopped after 25 years. I hate that F***ing State, their regulations and their toilet water!
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yeah... 1975 models and older (for gasoline powered) are Smog exempt.

I haven't been able to find any evidence of a vacuum leak. Even took it apart again and made sure it was all sealed up well.

I'm wondering if I might have tweaked the Throttle Air Bypass valve somehow.

Comment

Yeah!!! I can't believe any state is still smog checking 87 models.
            In my state they only check smog for 25 years or less, they don't make any visual inspections and only in a few counties not the whole state.
            If I lived in California I would have moved out long ego!!!!!

Comment

Another poor bastard in California! I'm not alone! My '90 had high NOx too. o2 sensors fixed it, they didn't catch all my f'ed up vacuum lines on visual. I'd go searching for vacuum leaks if I were you, I had to sort a few of them, and change my IAC. Get some throttle body or MAF cleaner and spray it around with the car running to locate vacuum leaks. When you spray it in a certain area and the idle changes, you're getting close. Haven't had any EGR issues.

As to the others, yes, California totally blows, no matter how much idiots tout the great weather. Too goddamned hot if you ask me, and this place is full of idiots. It's going to be a while but I do plan on relocating, just gotta find the place I can sell the old lady on, and then find the money. California requires diesel trucks to be smogged at this point, so whenever you plan to use the word ridiculous in a sentence, replace it with "California".

Whereabouts are you located Quack?

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                Yeah!!! I can't believe any state is still smog checking 87 models.
                In my state they only check smog for 25 years or less, they don't make any visual inspections and only in a few counties not the whole state.
                If I lived in California I would have moved out long ego!!!!!
                If I had a Model A tagged in NJ with non-historic plates, I would have to smog check it. There are no age exemptions here. No safety checks either.

of course nobody in their right mind would actually do that, but in theory it is possible to have to get something that old sniffed.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  If I had a Model A tagged in NJ with non-historic plates, I would have to smog check it. There are no age exemptions here. No safety checks either.

of course nobody in their right mind would actually do that, but in theory it is possible to have to get something that old sniffed.
                  Someone should do that, just for sniffs and giggles.
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Would be interesting to see what standards they even try to apply to it. If you really want to screw them up, use a Model T. The state inspectors drive it through. I'd bet money that they wouldn't have a clue how to operate a T. Not that I do either, but I know the 3 pedals on the floor don't do what you think they do.

Comment

and the sticks on the column don't either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

For those that were wondering about the Model T

He says it's easier than a modern manual transmission car. I'm thinking not so much! lol
                        Matt

Deep Jewel Green/Mocha 1993 Grand Marquis LS

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

rather complexicated

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm in Sacramento, with frequent work trips down to Bakersfield. That's where the car in question is; it's my out-of-town wheels. (Which makes it so much fun to work on, in the parking lot of a hotel...)

Haven't gotten back under the hood yet. Just hoping to get away with the out of date tags until I get it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                            X