Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booster?

So...

Current booster in the 90 5.0 Town Car w/o ABS, is leaking.

I am looking to replace it. If I decide to go with a rear disc brake swap eventually, do I have to change the booster for that job too?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

I replaced the booster in a 91 CV, later I put a 92 disc brake rear in the car with no problems, the thing stops on a dime.
    I've heard you don't need a different booster but some say it's a good idea.
    I've had no problems using the stock 91 booster.
    If I have to replace the booster again I may go with the later model booster if only because of the size difference.

Comment

Might as well just replace with aero non-abs stuff (master cyl and booster). It'll work with the current setup too. The master is probably pretty worn if the booster is bad. The newer stuff also give better pedal feel and less lock-up (easier to threshold brake).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So I really can just use 92-97 non abs components on the 90 without issue?
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

I took a booster from an 01 or 02 CV I can't remember which year it was now.
          And installed it on a 93 CV, it was the same part number for all those years, non ABS.

Comment

It looks like the size of the booster changed?

So there's With and Without ABS
            At least up through 2000?

Is there a page/post/thread with the different combinations/cross compatibility? That way I can search the yard for like the newest model booster I can find.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

basically all of the non-abs ones will swap for one another. I presume the same goes for the ABS ones, but I don't honestly know there. The later ones are smaller diameter, but dual diaphragm so they have effectively more boost.

I can tell you people have used later non-abs boosters with old style box master cylinders. I have one on my car with the late master cylinder, but that goes with the later style brakes I run. I'd keep whatever MC mates to your particular brake system.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the 92+ non abs booster will fit just fine. heck we have even installed the 4 wheel abs onto a few cars.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

don't you have to use the ABS booster with the ABS master though? I think they bolt up differently.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, the ABS master and booster are a matched pair. Mostly cause the master has retarded shapes and won't mate to anything else. Beats me why they did that, plenty of vehicles out there with normal masters and booster and fully-functional ABS... Heck with the S-series GMs you can go hydroboost and slap on any master that fits the hydro (so like 10-15 different ones to choose from) and the ABS will not care one bit and work like it's all stock.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                    X