Rocker arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker arms?

Earlier today I was reading an article about just by switching out the rocker arms to a higher ratio you could increase low and torque and horsepower 15-20!! Anybody done this and is it possible on a stock lopo? I was gonna change the rockers anyway because I reused the old ones and didn't mark where they went and now I'm getting a lot of noise 😣
    sigpic

The stock rockers should just be able to go anywhere. They're not real bitchy about going back where they came from. Are they torqued down properly? They are not adjustable, it should just be a matter of seating the pushrod into the cup and making the bolts tight. I think they run 20 or 25 ft-lb, can't remember off the top of my head.

You can add more ratio, but you may not get much out of it. I suspect more of the gain is the reduction in valvetrain friction that you get with roller bearings. I've done it, though it was on an HO. Can't say I noticed much difference other than the noise. I was using worn out rockers, so it got quite a bit noisier than the stock stuff I replaced. WHen I finally got rid of those in favor of a set that weren't toast it got quiet.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The pushrods too I didn't put in the same spot also. As long as the noise goes away I'll be happy. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66878 would these work? Or would they break the valve springs or hit the piston?
      sigpic

Comment

Performance wise you will never notice the difference. About all roller rocker realy do is reduce oil tems around the fulcrum about 25* roller tip only rockers re a waist of money period. According to testing we did at Ford
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66878 so would they work? I would like to buy these.
          sigpic

Comment

I measured a batch of stock pushrods and got less than 0.002 (two thousandths) of an inch difference between any of them. The preload spec is .040 wide. The aftermarket pushrods I bought had much worse tolerance. I want to say it was .005 or .006 from shortest to longest on those.

Those would work, but just research anything you plan to buy first. Some of the ProForm stuff has not been of amazing quality. Also, just be warned that sometimes there are clearance problems with some valve covers. The boring stock lopo steel covers have a lot of internal clearance but if you've got aluminum ones off an HO it might hit things.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a set of those in the 1.6 variety. Looks like they were machined by a blind kid with an angle grinder.

If you have a lot of valvetrain noise, bolting on some cheap chinaman roller rockers probably won't cure it.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

What would be a good brand and rocker without breaking the bank?
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.carid.com/crane-cams/rock...FRCCaQod19gLiQ would these be better and safe to use? I don't wanna break a spring or anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

I would buy crane 1.7 rockers if you're going to get them. Much better quality and the cost isn't that much more. 1.7's will give you a little more power by virtue of a hair more valve lift and maybe a schosche of duration. I put them on an HO in a mustang years ago and they did make a difference. I wouldn't call it 20 hp but maybe, it was enough to feel. I had also done other work to the car though, including aftermarket heads. If you plan to do rockers anyway, you might as well. Crane or Comp would be good brands to go with.

Comment

I'd go with the better Crane parts. Those look just like the old Cobra rockers (which were made by Crane), and mine were worn out. Some research tells me that it wasn't terribly unusual for those to be shot at an early age. The cross-shafts did not seem to be properly hardened and they had worn considerably around the needle bearings. I think they were worn out when I got them because they were noisy from the get-go, and I just put more miles on them. Apparently the Crane Gold rockers are much better, though if they use identical cross-shafts with poorly hardened steel they aren't going to last any longer.

Comment

Didn't know that about the cobra rockers Gadg, although I had mine in less than a year before the motor blew and I parted the car out. I'll do some more reading on rockers.

Comment

Crane made the FMS roller rockers
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                          X