88 Mercury Marquis engine upgrade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 Mercury Marquis engine upgrade advice

Okay I am new to this site so bare with me. I have a 88 Marquis with a stock 5.0 engine. I'm thinking of rebuilding my engine or buying a new long block. I seen a few treds about the ho convertion. I've also seen some say to put a explore engine in it. I would like to have at least 300hp is that possible. Any advice would help thanks

300 crank or rear wheel? Big difference between the two. Personally , Explorer all the way, No reason to do a HO swap in this day and age when a stock explorer long block will blow a HO away. Swap out the valve springs, toss in a decent cam, do the supporting mods and have fun.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I was thinking of getting http://www.blainesmotorsupply.com/de...es/5/Ford.html

With

And some gt40 heads do you think it would work. And what year is the explore motor come from and I was hoping 300 rear wheels is that not possible. Also how much hp is the explore engine pushing

Thanks

Comment

Is the explore motor a direct fit?

Comment

Yes and no. Block is the same so motor mounts will work. You will need an oil pan for a Panther tho. Oil filter will need its cooler removed, and the center stud replaced with one for a Panther engine. Accesories up front will need to get swapped over to Panther style. upper intake needs flipped around so its inlet is staring at the brake booster, at this point the throttle body will need its lever removed and replaced with one for a Panther TB (or you could try running the Mk7 or T-bird cables). Panther EGR spacer will need boring to match Exploder TB size.

Basically lots of little BS that can drive you nuts if you run into them one at a time.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post

Basically lots of little BS that can drive you nuts if you run into them one at a time.
            THIS. With these cars nothing is simple as ordering a kit and installing it. You make the kit up as you go.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What's the health of your current short block? Many of these cars still have a good engine at 100k. Mines got 230k and its still in excellent health with the exception of some cold engine piston slap. Check the oil pressure and compression and see what you've got. There's nothing that makes a difference in the stock short block vs HO vs explorer horsepower capabilities other than the cam. Some HO did get a forged piston but that's not needed unless you are doing a warmed up naturally aspirated street motor.

What are your plans for this car and its new engine?
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I've been having this 88 for 10 years so don't want to get rid of it but I want more power and the engine is fine. Engine has like 240k miles Still runs but has a oil leak and sometimes I see oil in my air filter tube. I just want to fix it. But don't want to fix it to original spec if I can upgrade it with out to much modifing.

Comment

I've done this, the Explorer motor is the way to go, get one from a 96 or early 97 Explorer with GT40 heads. These are the easiest to work with and you avoid the GT40P heads the later Explorers came with. All the other small details are no big deal.
                  And don't forget a computer from a Lincoln 5.O. H.O. Mark VII.

Comment

I would say find the long blocks with the gt40ps, and just get some headers for it (or Lincoln logs which fit). Big old cars like the panthers benefit from a torquey cam. Or, throw a step up in cam, and get some gears out back. OR torque cam AND gears = double fun + lack of tire.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

What year would the 5.0 Lincoln ho mark vll be and why do u need the computer for

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                        I've done this, the Explorer motor is the way to go, get one from a 96 or early 97 Explorer with GT40 heads. These are the easiest to work with and you avoid the GT40P heads the later Explorers came with. All the other small details are no big deal.
                        And don't forget a computer from a Lincoln 5.O. H.O. Mark VII.

And would stock trans fit the explore engine

Comment

What's the difference between the gt40 and gt40p heads because this engine has the gt40p heads

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                            What's the difference between the gt40 and gt40p heads because this engine has the gt40p heads

http://www.blainesmotorsupply.com/de...es/5/Ford.html
                            gt40 have the regular plug location (any headers), and gt40p are different and have a very limited selection when it comes to that. (gt40p specific or lincoln logs fit off a 90 lincoln towncar?). Gt40p's have no EGR ports I believe and flow better, and have a better combustion chamber design. Technically, they're the best production head that came out on the 302. Home port them by cleaning some casting flash and rough areas and you have a decent iron head.
                            Some people just dont bother because of the spark plug issue.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                              What year would the 5.0 Lincoln ho mark vll be and why do u need the computer for
                              Need an HO mark VII computer because they are speed density and will be compatible with the swap, though some will argue that going mass air and using a Mustang A9L/P as the computer.

Explorer computer wont work and you would need a new computer as you new engine runs a different firing order as well as many others things your stock computer cannot work with based on compatibility.

87and up just make sure it is an HO.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X