PCV blowout. New to me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCV blowout. New to me....

My dad and sister just took a trip to Chicago in dads '91 MGM, about 350 miles. Noticed oil under it this morning. Oil is sprayed on the inner fender on both sides, but mainly on the drivers side. Thought at first it was the line for the oil pressure gauge. Nope. Not that. Then the thoughf of excessive crankcase pressure popped into my head. Checked the pcv valve.

Not present in the intake. Was hanging out on the end of its hose a few inches from its grommet. There's strong vacuum at the hose. Valve, grommet and screen are about 3-4 years old maybe.

Any ideas? My first move is going to be replacing those three.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

PCV came out for whatever reason, and the spewing oil is the result would be my primary.
    Secondary, how is it on the highway? Struggling to keep speed? Or really slow acceleration compared to usual?

Alex.

Comment

Dad says it performed flawlessly. Couldnit be that easy? Valve just worked loose? Hmm. Maybe a bit of RTV on it this time. Just a dab.
      Last edited by HiFiMerc; 05-09-2016, 05:58 PM.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Replacement grommets are lousy fit these days, they are tight around the PCV valve but very loose in the intake. I suspect yours was like that too, then with years of use it expanded and stuck to the intake but let go of the valve instead.

What I usually do is goop the outside of the grommet with RTV then slide it into the intake (wipe the intake's bore clean with acetone or something to get rid of the oily coating first) and let it cure for a few hours, leave the valve off for the time being. When the RTV is cured push the valve in, it will be hard to go in and even harder to pull out next time you want it out for whatever reason.

Another tip, transmission oil cooler (TOC) hose makes excellent vacuum hose for that purpose - it's resistant against oil and high temperature, and as stiff walls that will not collapse when strong engine vacuum is applied. Regular fuel hose fails in all departments there, and dedicated vacuum hose is usually not oil-resistant.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

The grommet stayed in, i worded it kinda funny I guess. Its a newer one that needed rtv like yours. Thinking I'll just put the valve back in with a dab of goop and keep an eye on it.

Comment

I put heat shrink tubing around the PCV valve. Made it fatter and it forced the grommet and all that to be snug. Tape disintegrated and got sucked into the valve.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Might want to change the screen while you are in there.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                The grommet stayed in, i worded it kinda funny I guess.
                Nah I understood what you meant, that's why I said the stupid thing probably expanded from heat cycles and oil saturation and stuck to what it was loose in (the intake) but let go of what it was tight to (the valve). Regardless, I like Gadget's heat-shrink idea, only I would use some of the fat stuff (1-1/2" dia IIRC) and put it on the outside of the grommet - the grommet has ridges on it so once the heat shrink does its thing it will stay with the grommet if you ever decide to pull it out of the intake, whereas if you put it on the valve when you yank the valve the shrink may decide to remain stuck to the inside of the grommet and when you reinsert the valve it can get bunched up under it. The freight coming thru the harbor usually has heat shrink in various sizes for cheap, worth a shot.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

from my experience, the screen gets clogged and pressure causes the valve to pop out.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Shouldn't be clogged yet. It's less than 5 years old. Who knows though. More investigating after work.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                      from my experience, the screen gets clogged and pressure causes the valve to pop out.
                      Ya I though that as well at first, but he said the grommet remained in place, and the screen is below that. Wouldn't a clogged up screen act like a piston and push the whole works out? Cause if the pressure managed to find its way past the screen and grommet and reached the valve the it would automatically be reliever via the valve itself. This almost sounds like he's got a malfunctioning valve that under some conditions didn't suck properly and the pressure buildup therefore pushed it out.

Comment

Clogged [screen] or not, pull it out and spray it clean with carb cleaner. How it looks now can determine your future maintenance schedule for it. You are this close to it, it would be fool hardy not to, especially if you plan on rtv'ing the grommet to stay put.

Alex.
                        Last edited by GM_Guy; 05-10-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Motorcraft screen, grommet and valve on order from the dealer. Had to stop there to pick up some trans crossmember bushings, and asked about the PCV parts. Might as well eliminate all the suspects and be done.

I will investigate the old screen though.

Comment

HiFi,

For future reference, could you list those part numbers? With any luck I should be stripping & painting my HO upper & TB today, I'd like to replace that shiz again when I do the swap. As people have heard me bitch, my car burns no oil in the city but on the freeway over 75mph it starts to drink it.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

What grade oil are you using? Mine ate 5w30 on the highway, 10w30 didn't use any noticable amount.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X