Extreme Idle surges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme Idle surges

So yesterday my car started to get a mind of its own. While I'm driving the car will increase it idle and starting to rev very high even while in drive. It's very sporadic and can surge pretty damn high.

Possible culprits in my eyes: IAC,TPS Sensor. I know everyone and there mother is gonna save vaccuum leak however I changed all the lines on the left side of the vehicle. The small rigid plastic ones. I'm sure there's more but I had enough for the day. That was yesterday however the idle
    Issues started the day before so it want those

I'm at the yard I'm gonna pull a TPS and an IAC off and start there. Any more ideas? Again it's not just your typical idle raise. The spikes are very sharp and strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen IAC do that for sure. Have you tried unplugging either sensor to see if it stops the high idle spikes?
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

It surges? Or it just increases and stays there? If that's the case I would change the IAC. I've had this happen to me before. It ended up being the solenoid in the valve getting stuck open.

Comment

You can check you TPS fairly easily with an analog multi meter. You know the one with a sweeping needle.

With it attached to the car and the key on back probe the green with the positive lead and the black wire with the negative lead. Operate the throttle blade slowly and it should increase up to around 5volts. If it just jumps around then it is dead.

After everything ensure with digital multi meter that the resting position of the TPS is around .98 volts with key on and no throttle applied.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sometimes just flushing the IAC out will make it quit doing this. Crap built up around the throttle plate can make that stick a little bit too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also when engines cold it runs super rough.

Comment

Just put vacuum on EGR that's opening fine junkyard didn't have a TPS or IAC. Unplugged the IAC and the car wouldn't stay started. Gonna tackle it more tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Pull your IAC and clean it. Take the solenoid off of the valve and actuate the valve by hand, try seeing if it will bind. If it doesn't then it's not your problem. If it does, try lubing it with WD40 for the time being until you can get a new one.

Comment

Like everyone else said, clean your IAC! My car wasn't acting as extremely as yours is but I did have an idle problem; it would surge coming down from fast idle when started. Swapped a new Motorcraft one on and it was the same. Pulled a junkyard one and took the motor off, cleaned it, cleaned the plunger part and then lightly oiled the motor & plunger. I haven't had a problem since.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Ugh. So I took the IAC off and the plunger moved fine. Didn't stick or anything. Didn't have time to clean it so I put it back together. I also took the EGR off and applied vaccuum and it was fine. Started the car and everything was fine. Ran great for an hour. Pulled over to nap and it started doing it again. Gonna pull it off and actually clean it this time and hope for the best

Comment

Extreme Idle surges

Cleaned IAC no difference. Here's a video of it helps. As you can see the surges are violent.

Again completely random, doesn't matter if I'm driving or in park idling.

Comp
                      Last edited by rsolis; 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Unplugged the TPS she's running fine. Think we found our culprit? Headed to my buddy who has the tool to test it

Comment

I cleaned my old one too and it didn't do anything, thought I'd have to live with that weird surge I had forever. What fixed it was finding a decent one in a yard and then cleaning & oiling it.. Try swapping out the stepper motor part of it and oiling it like I did. Make sure the gasket is good too. Try disconnecting it too, should drop the idle down quite a bit if not stall it. But the idle spikes are certainly caused by that thing.

Comment

Extreme Idle surges

Yeah I unplugged in yesterday could barely stay running lol

Comment

At that point was it doing the funny business? Should've knocked it right out and just idled low or died.. I say you gotta get an IAC in there that is known to be good. If then it still does it another possibility is dirty connections/something grounding out or whatever. I'm trying to remember but I think I also had to disconnect the battery to clear everything out for it to be normal again.
                              Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X