Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't figure out a/c compressor belt reinstallation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend of mine had a '68 Fury Suburban. 318 with 340 4V heads, cam, and intake (or so he claimed, may have been more common 360 parts). It moved much better than you'd expect such a heavy car to do with a small motor. It was originally a 2bbl car but he swapped parts when the 318 burned a valve and needed the heads rebuilt. It had a ThermoQuad on it too, absolutely massive carb but works nice when tuned proper. Those things have adjustable air doors on the secondary so you can run them on just about any motor and not have it bog as long as its set right.
    Last edited by gadget73; 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Not as bad as late 1970's stuff. Ever look under the hood of a fully loaded GM product from that time with all the V belts? Good lord. There is also a specific sequence of belt installation and tightening otherwise you will not get it to work correctly.
      My Nova has one shortl v-belt for the alternator. Thats it. Nice empty space all over.
      My GMC has 4 or 5 v-belts on it, which makes for a long belt changing session. addition of ac doubles belt count. I'm surprised they didn't double pulley the alternator on it. The C10 only as two belts, same setup less a/c.

Alex.

Comment

So many belts! My 93 Hyundai Excel had 3 v belts. My supercharged 95 Buick Riviera had 2 long serpentine belts... That was the first time I had seen two serpentines on one car. I'm just glad my 3G alternator swap is done, hardest part was that one belt!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Friend of mine had a '68 Fury Suburban. 318 with 340 4V heads, cam, and intake (or so he claimed, may have been more common 360 parts). It moved much better than you'd expect such a heavy car to do with a small motor. It was originally a 2bbl car but he swapped parts when the 318 burned a valve and needed the heads rebuilt. It had a ThermoQuad on it too, absolutely massive carb but works nice when tuned proper. Those things have adjustable air doors on the secondary so you can run them on just about any motor and not have it bog as long as its set right.
          I like the '68s, IIRC those had the bullet side markers and stacked headlights. This is also a 318, has some sort of lumpy cam in it, 1971 340 4bbl intake, holly 600cfm carb an no clue on the heads or bottom end. Has stock exhaust manifolds. Could use a higher stall convertor and shorter rear gears but on the expressway or upper RPM band it flies. Will not do burn outs. No idea why not, I haven't checked the timing so maybe it could use a bump.

Originally posted by billfrank85 View Post
          So many belts! My 93 Hyundai Excel had 3 v belts. My supercharged 95 Buick Riviera had 2 long serpentine belts... That was the first time I had seen two serpentines on one car. I'm just glad my 3G alternator swap is done, hardest part was that one belt!
          I went through two different belts with my swap! Then again I went full retard and bought a 3G for a Windstar instead of the Mustang. The windstar alternator has a bump in the casting for some bracket to bolt to which restricts how far the thing will pivot on the bottom bolt, which made my belt selection limited.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

IIRC my '79 Pace Car had 2 v belts.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

When I got the MegaMerc it had no engine & all the accys were dumped in the back. I had to introduce myself to a neighbor (actually lived about 2 blocks away) who had a CV to figger out how to run the belts. Turned out he was a retired Ford tech.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
              X