Problem with the new tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with the new tudor

I bought the infamous tudor 85 from Zach, since owning it I've installed a explorer 5.0, Gt40 heads With Alex springs , HO cam, 1.72 rockers , 19 pound injectors , 89 mark VII speed density computer and gt40 intake with explorer throttle body.

Now the problem !

Sometimes Ill be driving along and it feels like a bad miss where it boggs down. And pops through the intake. It's intermittant though. Other times the car scoots like a rocket. It will intermittently stall also. Sometimes it will idle fine but what I noticed is when it won't idle right that's when it runs bad. I've verified fuel pressure and installed a adjustable regulator and set it at 40, new msd cap and rotor , ford racing wires, plugs , new msd coil.
    Zach installed a upgraded fuel pump.

It's weird though. Sometimes the cars a rocket. Others ot just feels like I have 2 wires crossed. Anyone have ideas for me ?
    1985 Crown Victoria Tudor
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
    1996 F250 Power Stroke
    2004 Mustang GT conv

My car had the exact same symptoms with a bad fuel pump, and even if the one in your car was brand new and installed yesterday, it could have prematurely died. However, having good fuel pressure makes this extremely unlikely. The symptoms also sound like a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Try driving it with the MAF unplugged and if the symptoms go away, it is (likely) your culprit. Unless you have a scan tool and can start looking at the data. If you don't, I know that O'Reilly stores usually have an OBDI compatible code reader, and they have one of the old ford hookups. I don't even know what system you would use in your car though, as it is so far from stock.
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Thanks for replying , I want to moniter fuel pressure while drivin somehow. I initially thought fuel pump also. The problem did get a little better after the new regulator went in but still is not good. I forgot to add I did a fuel filter also. My cats still speed density though

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
      My car had the exact same symptoms with a bad fuel pump, and even if the one in your car was brand new and installed yesterday, it could have prematurely died. However, having good fuel pressure makes this extremely unlikely. The symptoms also sound like a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Try driving it with the MAF unplugged and if the symptoms go away, it is (likely) your culprit. Unless you have a scan tool and can start looking at the data. If you don't, I know that O'Reilly stores usually have an OBDI compatible code reader, and they have one of the old ford hookups. I don't even know what system you would use in your car though, as it is so far from stock.
      1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
      1996 F250 Power Stroke
      2004 Mustang GT conv

Comment

It seems that some of these slightly hotter than stock builds make the speed density ECMs play funny. My old 87 with around the same amount of work done did the same kinda stuff. John (86VickyLX) had some similar issues and it turned out to be cris-crossed O2 sensor plugs. Dumb, I know.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You know what my buddy has been telling me this and I've totally neglected switching them. In fact when I bought the car from Zach he had the harness unplugged and in the trunk. I just guessed which aide to plug in. I'm gonna switch them tomorrow and try !

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
          It seems that some of these slightly hotter than stock builds make the speed density ECMs play funny. My old 87 with around the same amount of work done did the same kinda stuff. John (86VickyLX) had some similar issues and it turned out to be cris-crossed O2 sensor plugs. Dumb, I know.
          1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
          1996 F250 Power Stroke
          2004 Mustang GT conv

Comment

yeah the oxy sensor reversal thing will give you a lot of shit. Its not obvious which side goes where either, the wires are the same length and usually burned to all being the same colors even if you did happen to have the manual to tell you which color goes where.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You guys were right. Thank you guys a lot. I switched the plugs and the car drives awesome. I appricate it
              1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
              1996 F250 Power Stroke
              2004 Mustang GT conv

Comment

Originally posted by Cadillacmob View Post
                You guys were right. Thank you guys a lot. I switched the plugs and the car drives awesome. I appricate it
                I'm happy to hear your issue was solved! And that you didn't drive the car for 2 years dealing with it like I did haha!

Comment

I hear this happening a couple of times now and am just curious as to how this is happening.

Above you can see the 02 harness. The small ground cable attaches to the drivers side rear lower intake stud.

The large ground cable attaches to the passengers side head at the rear.

The large ground is harnessed in with the passengers side 02 sensor and if everything was restored to stock I don;t see how these can be crossed up.

Do others have 02 harness look like mine or are they different?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You can physically flip the harness backwards. They will reach either way.
                    88+ ditched the extra ground. So you could mess it up.

Comment

That would mean the grounds were not restored to the stock location then wouldn't it?
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

sure. I've also seen the orange ground stock on the passenger side of the harness. My 86 originally had it on the passenger side.

Comment

I'm glad it wasn't anything major.
                          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

It's easy to do, since I bought the car as a roller I really didn't habr much to follow. Also I believe I messed up because the factory manifolds have 02 bungs. I have stainless headers with no O2 sensor bung. I instead used a fox mustang off road h pipe so the wiring is pulled down Id estimate about 6 inches or more. So the stock grounds won't reach. I had to ground on the bell housing
                            1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
                            1996 F250 Power Stroke
                            2004 Mustang GT conv

Comment

Now a new problem has arised. I failed the KOER test. Code 10 problem with cyl 1. I am wondering if I have a lazy injector. Also have a lean code
                              1990 Mustang LX 5.0 conv
                              1996 F250 Power Stroke
                              2004 Mustang GT conv

Comment

Working...
                              X