Evap canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evap canister

Hi, When I start the car I usually don't smell any more fumes than when I start my Brother's Nissan xTerra.

Sometimes I get a good whiff. I know the old fuel injectors just spray fuel in rather than a refined method (saw comparison video), but could this be related to the evap canister and that little fan sound that eminates from the rear of the car?

I haven't heard than fan go on in a while, perhaps when I started smelling the fumes.

Then again I don't drive the car that much to know if my nose just forgot.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

possible leak in the EVAP line... possible leak in the filler neck... possible leak in the tank... possible gas cap loose/bad... possible fuel line leak (check at the driver side torque box inside of the frame just behind the front wheel - typical rot point). possible pinhole leak in any of the rubber sections.

basically anywhere there's a fuel/evap line, you could have a leak that could cause the smell.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Evap canister

I asked the service station owner a simple question and the mechanic missed it.

This hose was frayed from the metal tube - goes to carbon canister. I'm using my phone, so to explain the photo. There is a rubber host dangling to nowhere. Just above the battery ground cable is an open metal tube nipple.

(I also have another post about Bad AOD shifting, where a found sonething rlse suspect)

Last edited by BigMikeIT; 07-30-2016, 01:27 PM.
      sigpic
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

yeah, thats not how it ought to be. I see the evap can, but the line that should be going from there to the engine appears to be missing. Looks like the line from the steel pipe along the frame into the charcoal can isn't hooked up either.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Would you have a diagram of what it should look like, or a pic?
          sigpic

Comment

See if this helps you at all. These were taken from chapter 24 of my 1991 shop manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1280534Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1280535

Matt

Comment

Evap canister

If I reading 'view x' correctly on 24-50-5, the place where the vapor hose goes into is capped off with a black rubber.

I always wondered if Ford threw dice when deciding how many pipes and hoses to attach to various spots under the hood.

I am missing the vapor return hose, and likely for some time. I wonder if the vapor solenoid works. Can a replacement be purchased? Or.. Just run a long new hose from the canister?

Emissions or death from ablaze..
              This car hasn't passed emissions in 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by BigMikeIT; 08-02-2016, 10:41 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Check out National Parts Depot's catalog. Here on page 108 is the fuel vapor storage valve: http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/fl...979_1993#p=108.

Matt

Comment

I got a new solenoid and plug from NAPA. I will get part# when I get home.

I just discovered my evap canister too.

Comment

Looks like the Evap re-circulation tube ripped off of yours too (remnant piece of host)
                    sigpic

Comment

My solenoid connections were severed as well. The copper wire was green, so it had been severed for a while. I wonder what will happen if I get it all working again?

Comment

Working...
                      X