255 V8....Anyone familiar with those?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twin turbo 255?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah it was just another windsor version, a crappy one. In the right form a 255CI engine could give better fuel economy and power, but not in that form. Still, it would be interesting to see. Some aluminum heads and fuel injection...mm.

A twin turbo would no doubt make some power if built right! could probably turn some high RPMs too
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Even with turbos, the rest of that turkey wouldn't flow enough air to make any power. Like trying to feed a golf-course irrigation system with 1/2" pipe. How many years did they make the 255? Like 2? Kind of an answer right there. At least Ford figured out it was a terrible idea pretty quick, although they still made some dismally underpowered 302's after that. My '82 highway patrol mustang had 157 horsepower. Woo!

Comment

It would have to be little turbos for low end instant boost for torque, not power... but yeah... lipstick on a pig.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Even with turbos, the rest of that turkey wouldn't flow enough air to make any power. Like trying to feed a golf-course irrigation system with 1/2" pipe. How many years did they make the 255? Like 2? Kind of an answer right there. At least Ford figured out it was a terrible idea pretty quick...
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Not sure why, but i kinda want to see an SEFI 255. The intakes will work on it, right?
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Considering the 302 made a bit more power with SEFI compared to TBI or a carburetor, a 255 might fare to be a bit more responsive in a SEFI setup.

I'd do it just to see what happens. It wouldn't to be too hard to gather all the bits off a donor SEFI lopo.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The heads have round intake ports. Oval really. So it will need a head swap or a massive port match. Still run into a small bore problem. Small valve heads may fit. Maybe the GTp? Need a 255 head gasket to see. But it will lose a lot of compression on stock pistons. The 255 head combustion chamber is like 50cc. 7:1 compression kills the efficiency of the machine.

Apparently the crank is lightweight too but fairly strong enough.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Be interesting if nothing else. Yeah some nerd on corral was selling some 255 cranks priced like they were unicorn balls or something. Can't imagine they're better than a standard Ford nodular crank, and certainly not as good as even the cheapest forged stuff. The hell do I know though... Alright, who's gonna volunteer to be the big-power 255 test mule. We'll dig up some gt40 heads with little valves, an HO intake and boost the piss out of it, see if it'll make any power.

Found one of those incon/ddmi twin turbo kits from the '90s a while ago. That'd be so sweet since they bolted to a stock mustang h-pipe. They had tiny little turbos but made good power. If that one hadn't been super expensive for a 20 year-old turbo kit i'd have bought it.

Comment

"As God is my witness, I thought Turkeys could FLY!" -WKRP in Cincinnati
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

If anyone is interested in this task I have a tired 255 with 170k I'm gonna be selling from my 82 box merc.
                        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Everything said is true everything in its low compression glory. decent economy, I get 20 on the highway with everything in its current wore out state. I have true 2" dual all the way back with mustang shorties and complete smog delete. Makes a bit more power (prolly like 10 lol) and a pretty noise out back. Barely moves its own weight though, Forget burnouts, And like mentioned above, kickdown leaves alot to be desired at highway speeds. Previous owner converted to a fomoco 2bbl. Runs good. Real reliable. Little top end noise but shit, for 170k can't bitch.

But yea. I'm gonna be selling the engine off when it is pulled from the beast. I got a 351 going in. So I'll be selling the 255 with all its attachments minus 1 or 2 brackets and my shorties
                          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Working...
                          X