Replacing freeze plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing freeze plugs

I noticed when I had my front accessories apart that the freeze plug on the front of the passenger side cylinder head has a small leak; very slow, but noticeable residual fluid after a day or two. Rock Auto shows two plugs available, a standard and .060" oversize. Would the standard be the one to get? Any tips on installation? It's really a slow enough leak to just ignore, but it's behind a stamped steel accessory bracket; I don't want it to start rusting the bracket (there was already a little bit of surface bubbling of the paint on it when everything was removed for cleaning.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Use the standard size ones in brass. Not really much magic to it if you have access. Drain the coolant, knock the plug out, clean the hole thoroughly, put some sealer shmoo on the plug, drive it in with a suitable sized socket until its flush. I've used Permatex #2 or aviation sealer but any semi-thin non hardening sealer will get the job done. RTV probably will also work fine, just don't put gross amounts of anything on there or the excess will end up as little bits of trash floating around in the cooling system to clog up the radiator.

Something to warn you about, if one is bad, the rest are probably fairly shitty too. You can get to two of them, there are a total of I think 10 on the engine. 4 on the heads, 6 on the block. None of the others can be gotten to without removing the engine. You can see all but the ones on the backs of the head without too much bother.
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-29-2016, 06:46 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

FYI, NAPA can get you stainless freeze plugs, cheap too! Gotta go by size tho, and they'll have to look in their books to find them. Good chance they're actually in stock too. Also no need for overize that I can think of, standard is just fine.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Not sure why you'd even need oversize. The hole would have to be bored out to take it. I guess maybe thats for if the original hole is so dicked it won't seal anymore.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks. I wonder what's going to go first with this motor.
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Not sure why you'd even need oversize. The hole would have to be bored out to take it. I guess maybe thats for if the original hole is so dicked it won't seal anymore.
            Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I mean how often does one even replace head freeze plugs? I've never done it, block plugs sure (you were even there for the last such disaster) but never a head plug. So how does one even destroy the opening so bad that it needs boring out and oversized plug installed... Does not compute! lol
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

possibly excessive corrosion?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I replaced them on a set of heads I was rebuilding.

Might be something you see on marine engines. They rot from the inside horribly, unfortunately by the time they show signs on the outside, the inside is far enough gone to warrant replacing it. Nothing quite like finding the engine filling itself with water because there is nothing between tthe water jacket and the exhaust ports anymore.

Comment

Yes I lost two engines over the years with that.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I had to replace that head freeze plug on my 88. So far it's the only leaker and that was five years ago. In other news, I say pull that sucker out and replace all the freeze plugs, reseal the thing, and investigate those mysterious noises it makes. Or leave it all alone and save up for a Explorer swap in due time.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                    X