'87 Cougar - charging issues (EFI 302)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 Cougar - charging issues (EFI 302)

Car has too much charge. Guage is up to the top and it's beeping. Charge goes up when on the gas. Charge goes down when you put it in gear and hold the brake. Lights dim as the charge goes down.

You mean it's charging more than 12-13 volts? If it is, the voltage regulator is blown. Internally regulated- time to swap.

If it's charging too many amps, then you're a moron, because there's no such thing!! :rock:
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Replace the voltage regulator.

NOW.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

It's at the top of the guage --> 18 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
          Replace the voltage regulator.

NOW.
          :stupid:
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

EFI 302s have an internal regulator- gotta swap the whole alternator.

Not like your 351, GMGT, which should be externally regulated.

But let me emphasize it, again...

NOW!!
            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

I figured it was the whole alt. The fenders are pretty clean on the Cougar. Thanks guys. I'll pull the alt tomorrow and grab a new one.

Comment

I don't have a 351W yet, fresh.

I have a car'd 302 with a 1G alt.

Simple shit. but its pretty new.
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

put a voltmater on the battery with the engine running.........shouldnt be over 15.5v might just be that goofy sport instument cluster

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

How does that tension pulley come loose? Is that the one where it will spin around if the belt comes off?

Comment

You ask how to loosen the idler? Just get a long 1/2" breaker bar, put it on the idler (I don't remember if you need a socket too, or there was a square hole directly for the ratchet to go in), and pull towards the passanger side so that the pulley lifts up from the belt. When you release the idler it will go downwards a little more than its "belted" postion, it shouldn't spin around, but just to be on the safe side release it slowly and carefully.

Comment

the tensioner is spring loaded, put a wrench or a socket on the bolt head at the tensioner pulley 17 or 18 mm me thinks........have you checked the voltage running?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just a standard mention, now is a good time for that 130 amp alternator upgrade

And not *all* EFI 302 are internally regulated. Mark VII had an externally regulated 100 amp alternator, and the Towncar (and probably other panthers) had an optional 100 amp alternator with an external regulator. Probably the same alt/reg as a Mark VII.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                            Just a standard mention, now is a good time for that 130 amp alternator upgrade

And not *all* EFI 302 are internally regulated. Mark VII had an externally regulated 100 amp alternator, and the Towncar (and probably other panthers) had an optional 100 amp alternator with an external regulator. Probably the same alt/reg as a Mark VII.
                            Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

Have your alternator tested before buying a new one, like Scott said.

Comment

Look by your battery under that piece of plastic covering your solenoid. You should find a regulator there.

Comment

Working...
                              X