No announcement yet.

'87 Cougar - charging issues (EFI 302)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reg was on the alt. Got the alt in, cleaned the throttle body, new upper rad hose, new dist cap and rotor, new air filter, new clamp on neg batt post, tightened valve covers down.

Fuckin' reg drained the battery overnight. CarQuest was nice enough to offer to recharge it rather than sell me a new one. They've got good customer service. That's why I do business there. I checked in and they said it's recharging and tests good. Going to get it in an hour or so.

I didn't even get to cleaning the interior today. To fuckin' busy. Have to go into work for two hours tonight, too.

Long list of shit to get to tomorrow while the weather holds decent.

Comment

Glad to hear you're making progress. Keep us updated on that thing.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
        Originally posted by gadget73
        Just a standard mention, now is a good time for that 130 amp alternator upgrade

And not *all* EFI 302 are internally regulated. Mark VII had an externally regulated 100 amp alternator, and the Towncar (and probably other panthers) had an optional 100 amp alternator with an external regulator. Probably the same alt/reg as a Mark VII.
        Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

Have your alternator tested before buying a new one, like Scott said.
        my 91 p72 has an externally regulate alternator lol, and its a 302
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Batt is in. Looks like I'm good to go . . . . . then the window came off the track. . . . . but I got it back in . . . . . . . . but now I can't open my window or it will come off again .

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
            Batt is in. Looks like I'm good to go . . . . . then the window came off the track. . . . . but I got it back in . . . . . . . . but now I can't open my window or it will come off again .
            mostlikely the bond betw the glass and the plastic piece that goes to the regulator lost it's bond.............i have dealt with this.........you cannot get just the plastic piece, they expect you to replace the glass........heres what u gotta do j
            clean up the glass and the plastic piece best u can, take some silicone adhesive, glue the piece to the glass, roll the window up and leave it closed for a day or two.....viola fixed for under 5 bucks........arent u glad i had a 88 cougar?
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Scott, thank you so much.

Is there a way to lube the vertical tracks so that it comes down a little easier?

Comment

Usually its the torture rack assembly inside the window that needs a lube job. The grease gets stiff in the cold. White lithium grease is good for this. If you want to be thorough, use some wd-40 or similar to wash out the old grease from the sliders, then re-lube it with fresh white grease. Jam an old towel down inside the door to keep the nasty crap from laying inside. Door panel needs to come off for this.

I need to do my driver's side window in my car. Its gotten reeeeeeally slow the last couple of days.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X