Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    OOo. Pics of the carnage? Switched insurance on the garage queens and to Haggerty and that came with a free subscription to Motortrend. Watched David Free-burger grenade a C6 or something on one of those old Econoline trucks, was spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    that was like 15 years ago, nothing recent. Only warning I got was a funky hitch backing up. Drove around the block slowly and it went Ping! Pulled the pan and there were things that shouldn't have been in there. Put it back together and it lasted another couple thousand miles shredding itself to pieces. Lasted just long enough to fix the Towncar, which had been initially purchased to drive while I saved money to fix the S10. Ended up putting an engine and trans in that before the truck got fixed.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    sure thats not a 200R4? Thats what most of the cars got.

Sun shell broke in my S10's 4L60E. Snapped backing out of the driveway. When rebuilt with the upgraded parts its plenty durable but the early stock parts were a bit shite.
    Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Definitely the 700R4...
    Yep, 200+500R4. I think the Chevys/Buicks/Caddyshacks got the 200 for as long as GM could dump them on people.

Wow, that's literally a tough break on your S10's trans. I just hate how autos can seemingly fail with no warning like that. At least with manuals, there is usually an audible warning.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Definitely the 700R4.

Also, it looks like I'm not good at quote replying to the correct post, LOL. That quote was supposed to be of post #14 not #12.
    Figured as much.

Leave a comment:

• 86VickyLX
    replied
    Engine braking in manual seconds is achieved by applying the overdrive band. Engine braking in 1st is with the reverse band.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Definitely the 700R4.

Also, it looks like I'm not good at quote replying to the correct post, LOL. That quote was supposed to be of post #14 not #12.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    700R4 became 4L60 then 4L60E, no? Everyone rags on the 700R4 but the one in my Fireturd is going strong after all these 31 years and 118k of hard life. Even I'm not easy on it, I'm probably easier than my pops was but it's a fun car so hard not to stab the go pedal. It'll be getting it's second filter change next year. Dad sure as hell didn't maintain it.

Probably just the application, guess I'd never want a truck, especially a 4x4, with a 4L60 in it. 4L80 if I had to go slushbox. Don't think I've ever owned an automatic truck though.
    sure thats not a 200R4? Thats what most of the cars got.

Sun shell broke in my S10's 4L60E. Snapped backing out of the driveway. When rebuilt with the upgraded parts its plenty durable but the early stock parts were a bit shite.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Originally posted by sly View Post
    I've not heard it being a common issue.
    Gotcha, I'm good at misunderstanding.

Derek, that's also my basic understanding of the family progression for that trans.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    700R4 became 4L60 then 4L60E, no? Everyone rags on the 700R4 but the one in my Fireturd is going strong after all these 31 years and 118k of hard life. Even I'm not easy on it, I'm probably easier than my pops was but it's a fun car so hard not to stab the go pedal. It'll be getting it's second filter change next year. Dad sure as hell didn't maintain it.

Probably just the application, guess I'd never want a truck, especially a 4x4, with a 4L60 in it. 4L80 if I had to go slushbox. Don't think I've ever owned an automatic truck though.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    I did mean in the AOD... but yeah... 4l60 is notorious for being made of glass.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    At least the full size trucks like my Yukon it seems to be a common issue. A quick Google search when I lost reverse in 2014(15?) seemed to be all correctly pointing to the sun shell.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    I've not heard it being a common issue.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Common problem for a 4l60E, did not know that was a thing for an AOD family trans.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Fun. /sarcasm

Leave a comment:

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    So Nick's buddy says the sun shell is the failure point. Reading around online seems to back that up as sun shell failure will result in reverse, 2nd, and OD failing in the AOD/AOD-E and 4R70W family transmissions.

Like I said before, now we wait to figure out what route will be taken.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X