AOD upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD upgrades

Okay, I got two more weeks to work at TRW, gotta use their equipment to its full potential - here's what I'm planning on getting for my tranny:

- Transgo shift kit
    - booster valve
    - kevlar reverse band
    - kevlar OD band

Which of those can be installed without removing the tranny? Also when filling up the beast with ATF after I'm done, what ATF is good to use?

If you use the Transgo there should be no need for a boost valve. The rest I don't know but I've heard that kevlar is not an ideal material for trans internals as it does not fully lock up, which can cause slippage and increased heat. Not a tranny expert by any means, so thats hearsay. I'd be inclined to say you aren't going to get any atvantage out of a better OD band if you don't have a heavier servo to apply additional clamping force tho.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I never got the idea of those servos - if it fits in the same damn hole in the VB, how are you able to put a bigger one in there? Something's missing in the equation here... The boost valve is not too expensive, plus I remember reading an article at LOL about it going bad on AODs and eventually needing a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
        Yeah, I never got the idea of those servos - if it fits in the same damn hole in the VB, how are you able to put a bigger one in there? Something's missing in the equation here... The boost valve is not too expensive, plus I remember reading an article at LOL about it going bad on AODs and eventually needing a replacement.
        As I understand it, the "boost valve improvement" includes a valve that has a grove for two included o-rings. These o-rings help ensure a good seal, which addresses the possible problem of the original valve (without a o-rings) leaking.

An upgraded reverse band is a waste of money; it never burns out under normal circumstances (do burn outs in reverse much?). Though there is something to be sad of spending an extra $5 when you are already in the middle of rebuild to do it better than stock. From my reading, Kevlar OD bands generally aren't recommended for street use as it will slip slightly when it is applied. The plus side of this is that it is said to be extremely resistant to becoming toast, but it will introduce a little extra heat into the unit. Couple these upgrades with an auxillary cooler and you should be fine.

Have you considered upgraded clutches and steels?

Comment

Stu, thanks for the detailed info! I already run a B&M 19,000GWR cooler so I cooking the tranny is the least I'm worried about Slipping a little might be okay too, as I don't do racing and I'm going for reliability more than off the line performance. So if kevlar bands last longer, that's what I'll get. I'd love to swap the clutches and steels too, but doesn't that require dropping the tranny? I've never done a rebuild before, so I don't wanna risk messing up something on my daily driver, and that's why in the first post I asked what can be installed with the tranny still in the car. Speaking of which, can changing bands be done like that?

Oh, and there was something about the original boost valve sticking, not so much leaking, that resulted in Sonnax making the replacement one... or something of that sort

Comment

The valve I am referring to was offered by Baumann, and they mentioned leakage. Maybe the Sonnax fix is different.

Replacing the bands means your transmission is in about 15 pieces, definitely more if you disassemble the drums.
            Attached Files

Comment

Stu, whatevere that pic is, I cannot see it - dunno why, but since last week the damn Firefox has been acting up, and I can't see neither attached files, nor gif animations, not pics at SuperMotors.org :drug: I used every single possible setting while trying to fix the problem, but no luck. If you upload it somewhere and then link it I will be able to see it, but as an attachment not a chance :chainsaw:

So my tranny being in 15 pieces means it has to be off the car?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Damnit! Oh well, so only the boost valve and the shift kit for now, when it dies I'll upgrade the rest.

Comment

I don't have mine sitting in front of me here, but I know the Transgo kit comes with several replacement pistons. Not sure if it includes one that goes the same place that boost valve or not. Mine is either laying on the front seat of the car 60 miles away, or its in the car, which is still 60 miles away.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Like Stu mentioned ... you won't need the boost valve, unless yours is damaged and has scored the bore in the valve body. So far, none of the AOD's I have worked on had a damaged Boost valve or bore.

a shift kit and upgraded OD servo will be your biggest improvement. checking and adjusting the TV pressure with a gauge will also promote proper shifting.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Got an e-mail from Oregon Performance Transmissons, they shipped my shift kit and filter set today by USPS Priority mail, hopefully they'll be here by Thursday so I can install it after work. Several more questions on that:

1) best way of draining an AOD? I'm thinking of disconnecting the return line from my cooler and letting the tranny pump out the old ATF itself, but will it be safe for the internals?
                        2) what ATF to use when filling up the tranny after I'm done?
                        3) what's the torque for the pan bolts?

Keep in mind this is gonna be my first transmission project, so any other tips will be more than helpful too. Thanks!

Comment

I dropped the pan, and rotated the motor until I exposed the TC drain plug, and dropped that plug.

The refill takes almost a case....
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Book says 144-192 in-lb for the pan bolts. I use a 1/4" drive spinner handle and just turn them to be decently snug. Crank them too tight and it crushes the gasket. They're also small bolts and its a sheetmetal pan so its very possible to warp the pan and/or strip the bolts. Book also says 12.3 quarts for the trans but you won't use quite that much. Buy a case and it should be right about on the money.

Comment

I have a digital torque wrench at work, so I'll use that to get them up to book specs. I also run an external cooler that takes like half a quart with all the hoses and stuff, but I have an extra bottle of Mobil 1 from when I was doing the PS cooler, so I'll top it off with that. Thanks for the help all!

Comment

Working...
                              X