Help me map out my 351W!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me map out my 351W!

Okay, guys. The GT-40P is almost installed, so it's time for another engine project. With the start of the new business, I'm going to build a CJ7 as a flagship vehicle to go alongside my not-so-stock station wagon.
    The drivetrain will be a 351W (1988 era), C4, and I'm debating on the transfer case.

As soon as the P motor is off the engine stand, the 351 is going on, for a complete strip-down. This one will also get a main girdle because it's going to see hardcore abuse in comparison to what a street engine would.
    I'm thinking I'll keep the stock crank and rods and install 10:1 compression pistons. What are your opinions on that?

Keep in mind, I'm hoping to keep this as cheap as possible without sacrificing reliability. It will be a long, slow build.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Re: Help me map out my 351W!

Originally posted by Freshmeat
    The drivetrain will be a 351W (1988 era), C4, and I'm debating on the transfer case.
    This one will also get a main girdle because it's going to see hardcore abuse in comparison to what a street engine would.
    I'm thinking I'll keep the stock crank and rods and install 10:1 compression pistons. What are your opinions on that?
    If you need a girdle you need aftermarket rods.

Comment

:stupid:

The engine really depends on what the rig is going to be used for. Is it a trail rig/rock crawler? Or a mud truck? They require two different engines.

Comment

That's why I'm asking!
        What rods would you recommend?
        Do you think the stock crank can handle that beating?
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

What beating???

Comment

Have you ever been offroading with professionals?

Comment

Yes and I live a block away from a guy that has two Mud trucks on tractor tires that are taller then me!

A trail rig/rock crawler requires a different engine then a mud truck does. I was just wondering what kind of off roading you are refering too.

Comment

What rods would you recommend?
                Do you think the stock crank can handle that beating?
                What is your desired horsepower level and operating RPM range?

Comment

I'll be both rock crawling and trail riding. I'm not enough into one or the other to exclude either, so... yeah.

I intend for my powerband to cap around 4,500 RPMs. No forced induction or anything, just a well-built, reliable N/A motor. It'll be built for torque as opposed to horsepower.

I'm going to stop wasting your time with this response. I'm so tired I can't even remember the 45 minute drive I just made.

Comment

i got some football rods sitting here from my project shortblock sitting here. You can resize em and use em towards a 393 if you're after low rpm torque.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I intend for my powerband to cap around 4,500 RPMs. No forced induction or anything, just a well-built, reliable N/A motor. It'll be built for torque as opposed to horsepower.
                      At 4500 RPM's with 351 cubes, you won't be stressing anything in the motor, so factory rods and crank are fine. Once again, all a girdle is going to do is add weight to your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        i got some football rods sitting here from my project shortblock sitting here.
                        All 351W motors from ~'75 on came with the spot-faced rods with the football head bolts, so he is covered there.

Comment

No need to waste the $$ on the girdle or aftermarket rods.

Go with some ARP main studs and rod bolts.

Comment

You guys are sure the girdle wouldn't be necessary? I've just heard they crack so easily... I'll trust you.

So, stock bottom end will be safe with 10:1 pistons and fun stuff on the top end?
                            What heads would you guys recommend?

Comment

I'll tell ya what. You get that girdle and send it to me so I can spin my 408 to 6k

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X