Transmission Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Died

I was going through the toll comming off the turnpike and all of the sudden the transmission started making some lound screetchy, clunky sounds and the car started riding rough. I pulled over after the toll and called Dad to bring the tow dolly because AAA wouldn't tow it. Basically, reverse is gone and the car squeels and grinds foward foward so I know the trans is dead. Also fluids are fine, no overheating, and the car drove perfectly fine before. It has 75,000 miles on it and last time it was serviced they tweaked it I guess and said drive it till its dead and that was a few years back. My question is what you think my best option would be for the repairing or replacing the trans. I have a place up the street that will do a reg rebuid for around 1,600, or i could order a new one, so not sure what to do yet. I want a beefier trans (shift kit, ect.) but it's still going to be a daily driver. Let me know what you think.

1986 Grand Marqus LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

$1600 seems a bit pricey, look around at Summit and places like that and see if they have a mild AOD...I've seen them in there for about $1200
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Dennis can do the 4r70w's for around a grand and they're pretty tough. I don't know if he does aods or not. Also scott has a tranny guy that might be able to ship.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I have a base AOD that I just pulled out of my car, clutches and seals have about 15,000 miles on them. It's my Dad's tranny but I am sure he would sell it for a shit load less than 1600. It also comes with a brand new heavy dute converter. Let me know if you are interested, cost of shipping would be about 150ish. I am located in Gloucester, VA 23061

Comment

sorry to hear that man, thats my worst nightmare.
          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

for $1900 you can get a Performance Automatic AOD that is rated to 450hp.

for $1500 you can get a Lentech AOD
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

sounds like you grenaded the planets or something. I agree, $1600 is too much for a stocker. I got a totally destroyed 4L60e (electronic Gm trans) rebuilt, installed for $1350 and thats a shift kit, new shift solenoids, valve body, torque converter and Corvette servos. AODs are cheaper, no electronics to worry about.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

where u located man...........can do a wide ratio aod with a performance convertor for about $1200
                my transmission tech is a real good guy, does quality work.....ask a few members here
                scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

put in one that people say here that will save you cash. then get a lapdance to make you feel better.

Comment

Still not sure to do yet. I also agree that 1,600 is far to much for a straight rebuild and won't go that route. I checked my Summit catalogue and they show the B&M, which was pricey, and I guess needs mods for my application. I really know little to nothing about transmissions so I'm still trying to learn more about them before I decide anything. Thanks for all the advice and help offered. Let me know if there's anything important I need to know, such as the use of Kevlar bands (from an old topic), shift kits, fluid recommendations, ect. I know I'm getting a trans cooler for the new one regardless.

sigpic
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe
                      I checked my Summit catalogue and they show the B&M, which was pricey, and I guess needs mods for my application.
                      What kind of mods? And whats the original app for this? If its intended for a Mustang (like seemingly all SBF performance parts known to man) then the shift lever on the side needs to change. Thats it. Its not really hard to do but it might cause problems with a warranty since you need to remove the pan and the mess comes apart inside. I've changed them without removing the valve body but apparently thats not the correct way to do it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, did some shopping around today and went to the place my dad has taken to the car to before (Lee Miles). They were the ones that serviced it a few years back and told us to drive it till it dies. They also did a tranny in my previous car (1992 grand am GT) so I was happy with thier previous work. They said anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000, and some parts would be hard to find. We went to another place my bro used to work at and he said 800 to 1,300 with heavier bands (kevlar), stage 1 shift kit, and a new torque converter and all the parts would be easy to get. I'm thinking about going with this guy because price is decent, brother knows him well, also he loves, owns, and mainly works on fords only. Still going to do more checking around and I'll let you know what happens.

sigpic

Comment

1500 - 2000 and parts hard to find?!?!?!?!?! My reccomendation, don't ever go back to that guy!

Comment

talk to scott.
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

LOL, hard to find? ROTFLMAO...
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X