frayedness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frayedness

i got to lookin at my belt or belts??? i thought there was only one but if im not an idiot theres two. the one that is hooked on the air conditioner is frayin. now if it happend to snap would i break down right then and there or would i keep runnin in time to get from a 2 b? also when i go to replace the belt is there a tensioner or is it done manualy?
    kenny (1988 crown victoria 5.0)
    I am the GOD of ELeCTRIC HeLL FIrE!!, and I BrinG YOu..........

If your A/C belts snaps the engine couldn't care less, it's the driver's side accesories that are important, and of that you have the other belt. To change the A/C belt you need to first remove the main belt, which si done by loosening the alternator's bolts, swinging the alternator to give the belt some slack, and wiggling the belt out around the fan. For the A/C belt there is a separate tensioner, but it's not automatic (spring preloaded) - you have to loosen the bolt the holds one end of the tensioner arm (acts as its pivot), then there is another clamping bolt behind the aluminum plate that runs from the A/C compressor to the smog pump. I run a tensioner from a Cougar as I have no A/C, but yours is similar to that:

(second pic shows the clamp bolt behind the plate)

Comment

I would highly suggest replacing both belts ASAP. If one is bad, the other will usually not be in much better condition. It would also be a good idea to remove at least the frayed AC belt to prevent it from breaking. If it snaps, it could get caught in the fan and tear some stuff up. Just cut the thing off so you don't have to remove the outer belt and re-install it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        Just cut the thing off so you don't have to remove the outer belt and re-install it.
        But you still have to remove the outer belt to re-install. :drug:

Comment

Working...
        X