amp light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amp light

the amp light went off is it the alt or could it mean something else?

the light usually comes on for two reasons: Over charging, or undercharging...

Most likely its the alt... Also check all your wiring.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Alts are very easy to pull out. I would take it out and have it tested. To narrow things down. If you have a voltage regualtor take it with you to get it tested too. Most autopart stores do it free.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Mine would come on everytime I plowed through a lot of water. I just wiggled the cable and Off I went
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Alt or battery, could be wiring too like Tom said. What year is your car?
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

89 the wiring didnt looik bad i know it is not charging i was able to drive it but the batt was only at <12 volts while running I drove it for a day and now the batt is too low to start. ill have tocheck the wireing tomarrow, what is the voltage reg. what symptoms would that cause if it were bad.

Comment

89, unless its a police car, would probably have an internal regulator. If you have a silver box over on the driver's side fender then you have a voltage regulator. Most cars will not, and you'll have an alternator with two large plugs on it.

If the VR were bad it would make the voltage high or low.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes. If you have a 351, you'll have an external regulator. 302 was internal.
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

thanks for the help I think ill pull the alt later today and have it checked after school.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                    Yes. If you have a 351, you'll have an external regulator. 302 was internal.
                    Police package 302s have an externally regulated alternator. I had a bad voltage regulator.
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

it was the alt took me 20 min to get the old one out and the new one oin thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                      X