The TownStang Lives!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The TownStang Lives!!!

Ok guys I got her back from the shop and she's running. I had the firing order wrong and the distributor was off by 3 teeth and the plugs were fouled. The timing was checked with a light and it seems to be right about 10 degrees. She has an exhaust leak on the drivers side header where is bolts to the h pipe flange because of a bolt, and the exhaust is nothing after the h-pipe. Funny thing is I drove home and had no torque whatsoever, but the upper end felt strong. Could this be timing or just the fact my exhaust is leaky and cut off, or could it be the towncar plugs i am still using?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Glad to hear you got her running. Your lack of torque is more than likely due to your lack of an exhaust. The engine depends on a certain amount of backpressure. No exhaust = no backpressure. There is no Lincoln specific spark plug. As far as spark plugs go, the plug does not care what 5.0 it goes into, be it a 'Stang or a Lincoln.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yep, put a nice exhaust on there and you will be surprised at all the torque that comes back. If you get to see my car in person I will take you for a ride and show you the difference from no exhaust an full exhaust side by side.

Comment

My capri always ran better with no exhaust. Weird.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Congrats!!!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Good deal. Just make sure you ask for plugs for an HO engine, I always order plugs for an 88 Mark VII. Autolite 25. I think the plugs my lopo took were like 2545 or something. Problably not a substantial difference but yeah, they like exhaust. The leak isn't helping either.

Good to hear you got it running tho man.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice job mang!! :slug: :slug: :slug: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Glad to hear you got it goin.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride
                My capri always ran better with no exhaust. Weird.
                Your Capri was also a lot lighter and didn't require as much torque to move.

Great job on getting it running! How's it feel? What kinda exhaust are you gonna run?
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I just fixed the leaky header to h pipe flange. I am running mustang shorties, a mustang h-pipe with 4 NEW cats (got a good deal on that pipe), 2.25 inch piping to the Flowmaster 40's, and stock tailpipes out the back over the axel.
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

That should up your torque significantly. Here's my set-up and I absolutely love it:
                    FRPP shorties (haven't tested them, yet- had Mustang shorties before)
                    Catco free-flow cats (two)
                    Custom H-pipe (just something I had the shop throw together)
                    Flowmaster 3-chambers (two)
                    All breathing through 2.5" pipes

I like it. Gives enough growl to satisfy me, but it's nowhere near loud. Then, again, that was on the 150hp lopo. I think it'll sound better with some actual power flowing through. Probably not much louder, but I think it'll be more definitive, if that makes sense.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Woody, it will prob sound like a mustang
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Sounds good. break er in nice like :guns:
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X