Which carb? Edelbrock or Demon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which carb? Edelbrock or Demon?

My F150 just won't handle the weight of towing my car trailer soI bought a 79 Ford F350 Dually to pull it. The truck has a 300 with a grany low 4spd. The trany is crap so I need to pull it and while it's out I'm pulling out the motor to throw a gasket set in it. I love the 300 but I need some more power for highway use. So I'm ordering some full length headers and an Offenhauser 4V intake for it.

Now I'm just trying to decide which carb I should go with. I'm either going to run an Edelbrock 1404 500cfm manual choke carb or a Demon Road Demon Jr. 525 cfm manual choke carb. They both have their benefits. The Edelbrock is a simple design that reliable and easy to tune and $30 cheaper. The Demon will out perform the Edelbrock, it's a great carb, plus saying I've got a Demon carb is just plain cool!:evil:

So which carb do you guys think would be the best choice for a 6,000 pound towing machine?
    Last edited by Fordman75; 01-28-2006, 09:58 PM.

I'd go Edelbrock.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

For an appliation like a truck, I would got Edelbrock/carter AFB because of the ability to use metering rods to fine tune non WOT mixtures.

Tom

Comment

edelbrock...they're well tuned right out of the box and weasier to work on. Plus, I've heard they're better for street use.
        Nick
        88 Colony Park LS
        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

O yea, get some pics of that F350
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Edelbrock has always done fine by me, never tried a demon but I want to.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the Edelbrock. The Demon carb is a damn nice carb Barry Grant knows how to build a carb. He fixed a lot of the problems you have with a holley carb. But I really like the fact you can change the metering rods and springs on the Edelbrock without tearing the carb apart. And I also like the fact there aren't any gaskets below the fuel level so leaks are not as likely.

The F350 isn't real pretty but I got it for $200 and drove it onto the trailer!! When it was loaded on the trailer my F150's hitch was about about 3 inches off the ground. I had to drive 45 mph the whole way home. Luckily it was only 30 miles! I'll get some pics of it posted.

Comment

500 may be a little big for that engine. Offenhauser recomends the 390 cfm holley. http://cliffordperformance.net/ check them out too.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Is 500 cfm too big for a 302 V8? Offenhauser reccomends the 390 cfm carb for their DP manifold (which is a waste of money ) I'm buying their C-series intake. I've ran both the 390 cfm Holley and the 500 Edelbrock on the 300 before and I'll never run the 390 cfm carb again. The 500 makes more power.

Clifford performance or whatever they call them selves now are a bunch of hacks. Since Jack (the founder/owner ) died the service has went right down the shitter. I wouldn't buy a valvecover gasket from them!
                  Last edited by Fordman75; 01-29-2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Here it is in all it's $200 glory.

Last edited by Fordman75; 02-07-2006, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I love old Ford pickups.

$200 for that is a steal!
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Nice truck! Well if the 500 works better Id go edeljunk. I found clifford performance one day lookin for performance parts. Didnt know the service sucked.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

The guy I bought the truck from couldn't get it to run right and he lost his storage so it just needed to go. I adjusted the choke and timing and it runs good. So I got a damn good deal on it. 5 of the 6 tires are like new. I need to do a little patch work on the floors and it also needs a new brake booster and a new grill. But that stuff is fairly cheap to repair/replace.

The transmission is junk so I'm considering swapping in a newer ZF 5spd so I get an OD gear. The truck has 4.10 gears so the OD would really help.

Clifford performance just doesn't offer anything you can't get anywhere else, their stuff is over priced and you never know how long it will take to get your parts(somketimes 6 months and they charge your credit card right away ). And when you do get the parts they aren't always the correct parts.

Comment

I would go with an edelbrock as well.
                            That truck is real cool. I have a 77 with a 300 too.

If you need parts for them you can go to LMC truck or NPD. NPD has almost every part on these trucks. Both catalogues are free.

Shop from thousands of parts and accessories to help you restore, maintain, and customize your Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge or Ford truck or SUV. Keep 'em on the road with the right part, right price, right now.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Wow, that's a nice truck for $200. Take care of that patchwork you were talking about and pop those dents and you've got a hell of a puller.
                              Nick
                              88 Colony Park LS

Comment

Working...
                              X