clutch not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch not engaging

What the title says, the A/C compressor doesn't wanna work. I tested it with the wires ran directly to the battery and they were throwing sparks where they were touching the terminals (so wires are intact), but the clutch didn't even try to engage. What can be the problem?

I tested it with the wires ran directly to the battery and they were throwing sparks where they were touching the terminals (so wires are intact), but the clutch didn't even try to engage.
    Let me make sure I got that right. You ran two wires from the battery to the two terminals at the top of the compressor and it did not click the compressor on?

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
    302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
    '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

:hacksaw:
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Hm. All other variables out. I'd say the clutch is shot.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

AOD, yes, I did that to bypass the low-freon-pressure switch, but the clutch didn't click at all.

GMGT, last summer I tried the "roll down the window and drive faster" thing, but it's not really effective during rush hour So yeah, I just finished putting all the A/C stuff back in, no way I'm taking it out now.

MrLTD, do they even sell replacement clutches? All I've seen is complete compressors, and that's way too expensive for me right now.

Comment

i may have some decent used compressors here if they didnt go to scrap.........just pay teh shipping if i have one mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Scott, that sounds great man. Just make sure the compressor is the one with the two separate aluminum blocks that bolt on top of it (one block per hose), and not the '89 style with the steel plate or whatever it is that the hoses connect to. Also I'm gonna run that R134 stuff in the system, will I need to do something to the compressor for that?

Comment

Got a couple here
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Sweet! You're even like 5 miles from me Do you have the correct type for '88?

Comment

Sme as a 87 if so I have a couple

Comment

Dunno about the '87 ones, guess I'll have to look at them. How much and when can I come pick one?

Comment

Did you get my PM

Comment

Yes sir, and you have a PM too.

Comment

Well, to hell with those compressors! I went to Turbo225b's place, tested two of his compressors and bought one, so that's good. However when I got home I decided to give the one I have in my car one last try, and low and behold the clutch kicked right in! Turns out you need the engine to be working when you test the clutches, otherwise the current isn't strong enough to get them to engage. Oh well, having a spare compressor won't hurt anything Now one of next days I need to blow the oil outta the compressor in my car so it won't mix with the R134-specific one, then charge up the system and give it a try, hope all goes well.

Comment

glad u got it working.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X