No announcement yet.

Steering wheel shaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something holding that column HAS to be loose. Do you have the OEM Service Manual for the car? If not, perhaps someone here can post the relevant pages from it.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
      Something holding that column HAS to be loose. Do you have the OEM Service Manual for the car? If not, perhaps someone here can post the relevant pages from it.

I've been following this: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...-and-travails=

checking what I can and everything seems to be tight other than the minor up and down play in the end of the shaft where the bolt runs throught to hold the steering wheel. I dont feel unsafe driving but the up and down movement is pretty annoying

Comment

From what you are saying, the issue appears to be at the steering wheel. Maybe you need to remove it and look in that area. Something got loose or broke when the wheel was removed and reinstalled. You may not be thrilled to redo the job but if you are sure everything from the wheel to the firewall is tight there are not many options.
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Swapped in a column from the junkyard, used a puller to pull the steering wheel, then took the car for a drive and it did the same thing, tightened the two bolts behind the turn signal switch cause they were loose too, still the same thing. Front end is tight, rag joint perfect, steering shaft u joint tight, all bolts/ nuts tight (checked over multiple times) Spend a lot of time looking things over and cant find any thing directly causing this. I guess I'm gonna have to live with this. Moral of the story, dont remove your steering wheel.

Comment

is the steering wheel nut fully tight? is it the right wheel for the column? Having replaced a couple of wheels without it being floppy I can tell you its definitely possible to do and not have the car broken afterward.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              is the steering wheel nut fully tight? is it the right wheel for the column? Having replaced a couple of wheels without it being floppy I can tell you its definitely possible to do and not have the car broken afterward.

Everything is from an 87 Grand marquis

The bolt holding the wheel is tight

Comment

Here are a couple of thoughts. I believe there is a bushing inside the column. I could be plastic. I saw a nos replacement on Ebay and thought about your situation. Worth looking at the parts break down in the shop manual.
                Another item could be the steering shaft U joint. Even if it is tight, there could be slop. I have had that situation before.
                Finally, the splines on the steering wheel might not be exactly the same as the shaft. The splines through the years DID change. Maybe applying some "lock tight" would help. I had that situation happen before too.
                I suspect that the bushing inside the column broke .

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  Here are a couple of thoughts. I believe there is a bushing inside the column. I could be plastic. I saw a nos replacement on Ebay and thought about your situation. Worth looking at the parts break down in the shop manual.
                  Another item could be the steering shaft U joint. Even if it is tight, there could be slop. I have had that situation before.
                  Finally, the splines on the steering wheel might not be exactly the same as the shaft. The splines through the years DID change. Maybe applying some "lock tight" would help. I had that situation happen before too.
                  I suspect that the bushing inside the column broke .

The wheel moves up and down while driving, mostly on bumpier roads, I'm kinda scared to go deeper in the column as I've already replaced the entire column itself with bad results. If it gets worse to the point that its dangerous i'll go deeper into it, however for now i'm just going to leave it be.

I will however check out that piece you saw on ebay if you have a link to it. Somehow the action of pulling the steering wheel has caused something to move out of place in both columns.

Comment

do these have a bearing down at the firewall that is not part of the column? I honestly don't know on a Ford, but GM cars do have one where it goes through. If you've replaced the entire column and it didn't fix it, that would point towards something that is not part of what you replaced but I'll admit its not something I've had the need to look deeply into.

on that link with the diagrams, part 3E733 looks suspiciously like some sort of bushing or bearing that lives below the column at the firewall. I can't find that in the master parts manual to ID what the heck it is though.

per the master parts manual, this is the full exploded diagram of the tilt wheel column out of an 87

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	104
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	1387132

on this one, the part I've got in mind is 3517 or 3518.

Views:	112
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1387133

Views:	118
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1387134

I don't know exactly which might be at fault but it looks like they go together. Have a look, probably need someone to rock the wheel while you lay under the dash and look for whats moving.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

and just in case it comes up

Views:	110
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1387137

Comment

The part is called a "steering column bearing. E2AZ-3517-A 1982-1988.CV. Ebay auction number is : 362292227675
                        There is another part called a "steering column bearing retainer. E0AZ-3C610-A Ebay auction number is : 195434274350
                        These may or may not be the parts you need. They just caught my attention regarding your issue.

Comment

There is a bolt or two in the 12 o’clock position behind the wheel. When I first got my 87, they were loose causing some up and down play. I also believe they were installed backwards. You’ll have to remove the shroud to see them.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...aration-advice

Gonna try the pivot pins. Since mine is an 87 it appears to use a longer set of pins. Does anyone know the part # for these pins and where I can buy them.

Comment

Working...
                            X