Cracked upper intake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked upper intake.

Brand new 306 build. Cracked upper intake. Will require new. They gave me the car with no coolant in it. Will a trick flow street burner upper and lower fit on the gt40 p heads?. The cracked upper and lower are lightly ported explorer intakes. The cam is basically like a comp xe 258. Thanks guys.

The heads don't care what intake you bolt to them. Only trick is going to be hood clearance and whether or not you can flip the intake so the cables and such don't route in a dumb way. I think the TFS will but not sure.

If the intake isn't totally trashed, it can be welded back together. I had an Explorer intake off a truck that had rolled. There was a spiderweb of welding around the back two bolts on the upper to fix the cracks on it. Wasn't real pretty but it worked absolutely fine and the ugly part faced the firewall. I think John actually ended up with that intake, no idea what it went on.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

X2 on trying to have it welded/repaired

Comment

I asked several people. The idea of welding aluminum seems to really turn people off. They were telling me it's not repairable. I didn't think about the trick flow stuff facing the other direction. Does that leave me with explorer options? I spose the lower is still good. Will it matter too much if it not port matched with the new one? I may be able to find a ported one.

Comment

Cast aluminum takes some experience to weld properly from what I've heard. JB Weld is always an option as well, but you will have to work it into the crack and then sand things smooth for mating surfaces once it's cured.

The TrickFlow looks to be reversable with no issues just like the stock intakes. Just make sure that the throttle body size is the same for the TrickFlow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some castings are better than others. I don't know enough about welding anything to offer any really solid advice, other than I had one that was welded and it worked out OK. No idea how it was done either. Friend of a friend thing, he took it to work and it came back in one piece.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love welding aluminum, especially cast aluminum. Pretty good at it too.
              Most people hate it and find it more difficult than steel but not me for whatever reason.
              I have a really nice machine so that definitely helps.

Comment

Tig?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes

Comment

I found some papers frome the build and the cam card.

Comment

This is what is on there currently. I'm leaning towards the trickflow street burner but look at all the different sizes on the way to the intake... It such a mild cam there can't be too much air.

Comment

what are you using to get 48mm from throttle body to spacer? That should be the same size all the way through, or at least not smaller than the throttle body. If thats a stock lopo part, thats not doing you any favors. they won't reliably bore out past matching the ID of a stock HO throttle body, but thats still noticeably bigger than 48mm. The one I bored out a month or so ago is 2.355" or 59.8 mm. I matched it to the HO throttle body I had sitting around. This particular one might do 65 but I don't know about trying for more. I've done some that 60 was all I felt comfortable removing and still having a good chance at a proper gasket seal.

Comment

The shop owner sent that. I think he meant 60 or 65. After this is fixed it's being sent several towns over for megasquirt and a Dyno. I hope really bad that's the end of it.

Comment

sounds like its time to pull some things off and measure for yourself to confirm whats actually going on. Its not such a big deal to go up in size but you don't want a smaller part in the middle. It causes lots of turbulence and airflow disruption. More ideal to have a smooth transition from one size to another if posssible.

also just curious what specific mix of parts you are currently using.

Comment

Me two man. I get lied to a lot. They probably have a different person work on it every time. I had to tell them to switch the firing order. It took them months to put in the motor I had built. Il grab their micrometer and measure all of it if they let me. I think people rush through things and put zero due diligence to anything. You can't really pay to have anything done where I am. I had to print them out the 3g conversion twice. They tried to give me the car several times not finished. Nobody holds their word. It's actually pretty insane. Waiting on that speed shop. Hopefully they will properly check it for vacume leaks. Make sure it's actually done. I'm not mechanically inclined or I would.

Comment

Working...
                              X