No announcement yet.

Twin turbo 351W box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look like hybrids, definately a t3 center and hot side, and kinda looks like a 50 trim front... Ford wastegate setup...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

That thing must fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
        Is it just me, or does it look incredibly cobbled together in some spots?
        I'd definitely agree, not that I want to discredit someones hard work. I have seen much worse fab work, but it does look a little goofy. The carb set up is lame IMO. He should have gone with EFI; the idea of turbos blowing through a carb isn't appealing to me.

Also, aren't those turbos kind of small? I'm not really up on turbos, but they look tiny to me. Obviously they aren't like some of the huge ones I see on cars in MM&FF, and understandably so.

definitely lots of work though, and that I can appreciate. I don't want to bust this guy because he has something truly unique.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
          I'd definitely agree, not that I want to discredit someones hard work. I have seen much worse fab work, but it does look a little goofy. The carb set up is lame IMO. He should have gone with EFI; the idea of turbos blowing through a carb isn't appealing to me.

Also, aren't those turbos kind of small? I'm not really up on turbos, but they look tiny to me. Obviously they aren't like some of the huge ones I see on cars in MM&FF, and understandably so.

definitely lots of work though, and that I can appreciate. I don't want to bust this guy because he has something truly unique.
          nothing wrong with blowthrough carbs. a guy i know has a 306 with ported edelbrock performer heads, blow through c&s carb, 80mm turbo. runs 9.60s @145 on 17psi, thats on a 8" tire and stock suspension

and when you use twins you can use small turbos. two turbos off of MT turbo coupes are big enough for a mild 351
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
            nothing wrong with blowthrough carbs. a guy i know has a 306 with ported edelbrock performer heads, blow through c&s carb, 80mm turbo. runs 9.60s @145 on 17psi, thats on a 8" tire and stock suspension

and when you use twins you can use small turbos. two turbos off of MT turbo coupes are big enough for a mild 351
            Thanks for clearing up the turbo issue. I'm sure theres no problems with running a blow through carb (I've seen it more than a few times). However, it just doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't be something I'd do personally.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Smaller turbo's are better for lag, The big one's have much longer lag time and can be pretty unpredictable to drive.
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

maybe I'm dumb, but why is there a spark plug in the plumbing on the passenger side? Does that serve some actual function, or is it probably just there plugging a bung ?

and good lord, the smog pump is still there lol

Still, pretty badass
                Last edited by gadget73; 10-02-2007, 10:56 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  maybe I'm dumb, but why is there a spark plug in the plumbing on the passenger side? Does that serve some actual function, or is it probably just there plugging a bung ?

You know, I noticed that too and then promptly forgot. I'm pretty sure I've heard something about running a turbo motor a little rich at low RPM and then lighting off the raw fuel in the exhaust to spool up the turbos in a hurry - but never having built a turbo car, I may have it completely sideways and upside down. :p
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

and good lord, the smog pump is still there lol

Still, pretty badass

the picture caption says that its there filling in the O2 sensor bung.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                      Thanks for clearing up the turbo issue. I'm sure theres no problems with running a blow through carb (I've seen it more than a few times). However, it just doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't be something I'd do personally.
                      The problem with blow-through carbs and turbos is that the boost-curve and fuel flow curves don't match. You have to make the carb add even more fuel than normal, and most normal carbs, unless suitably modified, won't keep up with a turbo/turbos, and go lean. You have to buy a modified carb, or add an injector to get more fuel in.

Comment

It is silly to try and tune a blow through carb in your backyard. There are professionals who can tune a blow through setup making 1000HP or more.
                        Even if you cobble together a home built turbo system to save money, you should be spending the money on a professional dyno tune or you have more than likely built more of a bargain engine killer than a bargain performance engine combination.

Comment

redneck engineering!
                          LTD is still here

Comment

wow..that is friggin' kool as heck!
                            sigpic
                            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                            X