Big block in the future??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 hp Ford flathead: http://www.flatfire.com/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Someone brought a Y block Ford to the Engine Master's Challenge this year or last, and made phenomenal power with it.

There are some die hards out there that will go to extreme lengths in order to make vintage/ unusual engines perform.

I was at the track a few weeks ago, where I watched a full size '71 Buick Station wagon, in street trim, run 10.91. Thats a 1320' pass. Gorgeous car, full interior, cage, etc. Buick power, too. The man undoubtedly raided TA performance for goodies to make that kind of power.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Bob View Post
        i like both ideas, the 408 is easy, the 460 is a little harder and i used iron manifolds probably hurts hp a little,but realy doesn't effect low rpm torque.stock 68-71 lincoln 460 has 500lbs.ft.@2800rpm. all else being equal the big block will put out more power because the heads flow a lot more and the bigger bore unshrouds the valves. and you can cut the bell housing off the AOD and use a bolt on one for the 460 i think its from JW transmissions.
        If I recall correctly, LenTech now has an adapter plate for the 460 to AOD case, without having to cut off the existing bellhousing....

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
        fixed that for you
        Lollers.

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        650 hp Ford flathead: http://www.flatfire.com/
        I notice there's very little in the way of 'dates' concerning how long ago all of that was accomplished; I'm recalling a Hot Rod or Car Craft mention somewhere around 1998-1999....I'm really impressed that they got it to make that much HP, but I've heard nothing about this particular engine since 2001-2002....
        Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

yeah... haven't heard much myself. still awesome though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X