No announcement yet.

302 carb..help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can probably frame mount it very close to the stock fuel filter. Cut the line that feeds the filter, and run it to the inlet on the pump. Run the outlet of the pump to the inlet of the fuel filter. Thats about as close to the tank and as low as you're gonna get without getting way involved in fuel system mods.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by SwanginOn4z View Post
      actuallly im not sure its a small gold electric pump
      those are the little cheapo pumps from the parts store. if your running an electric pump, you should get at bare minimum a Holley blue pump, its fine for a relatively stock motor. a good pump is going to say Aeromotive or Magna-flow on it
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

To avoid all that cant i just use my factory fuel pump and put a fuel pressure regulator on it and adjust it, and take the electric one off.

Originally posted by the auntie christ View Post
        i have no idea as to how the existing fuel system is set up. Typically, some fuel system modification is required to mount an external fuel pump back there, so yes, you'll probably have to rig a hose, and add some wiring.

Comment

One guy reported good results doing that without any regulator at all, just a tee. His was originally a CFI car (as yours was too, right?). It's not how I would do it, but last I remember he was still driving it that way. Of course, I figure at least adding a bypass regulator would be a significant improvement over that, especially as Edelbrock is pretty specific that they don't want their carbs to see more than about 6 psi.

Myself, I rather like my mechanical pumps. Work good, no electrical junk to worry about, the highest-rated stock replacement I know of (40gph for a '79 LTD) is only $17, and since it's designed to pump 5-6psi, you can get away with no regulator if you're cheap and lazy (like me). After having bought a couple of those, $55 for an 80gph Summit pump plus a $27 deadhead regulator and $17 fluid-filled gauge seemed really painful!
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

been running mine for over a year now using the stock elec.fuel pump, it runs at constant 7.5/8 psi and haven't had any problems with it yet. imight go mechnical if the elec. goes out.
            we put a tee in just before the carb. and connected it to the return line so what the carb dosen't need is returned to the tank.
            i think i have some pics of it somewhere in my readers ride.
            ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
            ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

i just bought a mallory fuel pressure regulator. How much gas should it b pushing to start the car. Because when i had the electric fuel pump it will run for about 30 min and themn it will stop sucking gas from the tank. But some1 told me to just take the electric on off and just use the one in my gas tank and put the regulator on it..

Comment

when i drive the car for about 30min the electric fuel pump will lock up and stop suckin gas. so what ill do to crank it up is connect the factory pump in da tank up and it will push the gas forward. why do i have a electric pump?? Is because the factory pump was pushing to much gas and flooding the carb. But now im goin to remove the electric pump and just put a regulator on the factory pump.. will that work???

Comment

wait, they left the electric fuel pump in the tank? You're not supposed to do that. If you're gonna have the stock pump in the tank, then a return style regulator is the better way to do it. Without a regulator, the EFI pump is good for like 50 psi, which will just blow fuel through the carb like crazy. You need a return style regulator for this, just use the factory fuel lines. Usually the carb wants to see 3-5 psi at the inlet, but you may want to double check the manual for that carb to confirm.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i have the 1406 carb edelbrock 600

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    wait, they left the electric fuel pump in the tank? You're not supposed to do that. If you're gonna have the stock pump in the tank, then a return style regulator is the better way to do it. Without a regulator, the EFI pump is good for like 50 psi, which will just blow fuel through the carb like crazy. You need a return style regulator for this, just use the factory fuel lines. Usually the carb wants to see 3-5 psi at the inlet, but you may want to double check the manual for that carb to confirm.

Comment

return style regulator all the way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i only have 2 hoses 1 coming from tha tank and the other from the carb

Comment

Look up Bowman85's pics and put the regulator where his T is and, lose the crappy little electric pump and run the in tank.

Btw, by "small gold electric pump" is it one of those useless little boxes that sits there and clicks untill there is pressure?
                          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

ok i have the factory pump in my tank which puts out 50 and i have a mallory return regulator and wen i crank the car it floods the carb and and the gauge goes all the way up 2 15. i tried adjusting it but it wont do nothing but stays at 15

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            return style regulator all the way.

Comment

is the regulator rated below 15psi? fuel injections regulators are usually not capable of running low enough for a carb. I'm not sure where to get one that is though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Holley has a regulator with a bypass for return type fuel systems and if i recall it can be regulated from 5-9 psi. I will use one when i do the engine swap on mine, (cfi to carb). I also plan on using the in take electric pump. Plus it will be sufficient to supply fuel for my nitrous system.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                                Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                                Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                                NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Working...
                                X