Exhaust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayh View Post
    I kind of feel the same way about 4" tips on 2" pipes, thats pretty much the definition of ricer

Some of the lead sleds have dual 2" exhaust with large 4" echo cans. Nothing rice about that.:p With that said, I realized that my 4" resonated tips wouldn't look that good on the CV. More unused car parts to grace my bedroom junkyard.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
      Some of the lead sleds have dual 2" exhaust with large 4" echo cans. Nothing rice about that
      Uh ............ yeah. Because "lead sleds" are so totally all about sensible street performance and keeping a low profile.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

And yet, they would steal most of the attention from most "ricers" and probably most of our cars as well:smirk:. That would mean that most cars at the car shows that we like to take pics of are considered "rice"?:confused:

Packman

Comment

In a sense, yes.

Comment

Eegads!!! Tough crowd!

Packman

Comment

BBK shorties FTW!!!!
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

use a good set of aftermarket 1 5/8" shorties for a 5.0 mustang, 2 1/4" offroad H pipe, and 2 1/2" mufflers and tail pipes, do it right and all you have to do is widen the H pipe for the 351 swap. stock headers are too crimped up to flow good, 351 mustang shorties are dimpled to clear the steering shaft on a mustang witch is not a problem on a crown vic.

Comment

You don't like BBK 1511s when doing tubular manifolds for a 351?

Comment

every set of 351 shorties i,ve seen have dimpled tubes for steering shaft clearance, the 302 shorties don,t and there is plenty of room by the steering shaft in a crown vic.

Comment

Dimples? I don't think I'd noticed that. I'll have to have another look at the used set that are on a stand in my garage.

Granted, since tubular manifolds are theoretically inferior to "real" headers anyway, I doubt a dimple or so makes much difference ... and most people will probably opt for combos that bolt up without modification. In my case, I found it convenient to be able to swap in a handy roller 302 when a 351 in my possession started ticking, without having to modify the exhaust. And I'm still surprised at the number of members here who run to an exhaust shop for every little thing ....
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 07-22-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        And I'm still surprised at the number of members here who run to an exhaust shop for every little thing ....
                        Not everyone has a welder or likes having a million clamps. I know stock mustang shorties, and crush bent 2" pipes with no-crossover aren't doing me any favors, but I'm not entirely sold on mustang H pipes. You can look at the side of my car and not see a single exhaust component. Unfortunately, it was completely custom made, and doesn't have a spec of rust on it so I have no excuses to replace it.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Exhaust work isn't easy. I've been lucky with the systems that I have installed over the years. I honestly wouldn't have tackled the CV exhaust if it weren't for Scott and Gadget73 telling me what fits on our Panthers.

Packman

Comment

to each there own, but if you really had to, I dont see 2 muffler clamps being the end of the world

Comment

It's a little more than two exhaust clamps. Then there's the hangers. If I were building a show car, then I would have welded the exhaust on the CV and flanged the muffs after the Mustang H-pipe for easier disassembly. With that said, the Mustang H-pipe has the benefit of fitting up to the Mustang headers. After that you have your choice of what to use for mid-pipes; I used half of the '94-'96 Impala exhaust. I cut the two bends out and ran it back to the muffs. The lucky/coincidental thing is that they put the muffs in the stock location. Then you use the Impala tails.

The downside is that the H-pipe (at least the one I have) points downward at the cats and then bows back up along the floor pan. The cats srape the pavement on some speed bumps, steep driveway aprons, or large depressions in the road on a lowered car.

Doing the exhaust on a DD is tricky. Luckily this is my mom's car, so I have a little leeway on the projects............to a point; then there's death threats when I start taking too long.

Packman

Comment

If you're looking for cheap manifolds, back in the day before EFI and all this other stuff came around. The guys running 289's and 302's use to call stock 351W manifolds,"poor man's headers" because they had that shorty header design. Compared to the other small block manifolds which looked liked logs. They should be fairly easy to find and very cheap. In the late 70's Ford started using these "poor man's headers" on 302's as well as 351's so there are plenty out there, I see them all the time in boneyards. Just a suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                                X