No announcement yet.

e6/e7 heads and torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept the e6 heads on my first ho conversion.. I was still quite happy with the night and day difference it made.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I have a cam/ecu/big injectors to put in but I kinda want to wait until I have better cylinder heads to put on. I have a lower intake laying around that I'm going to try my hand at porting as well.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

1990LTD: What did you decide to do? Did you change tghe heads over or are you still deciding? Just curious; it seemed you have an interesting build-up whether or not that was your intention.

Packman

Comment

I still have the stock heads on there. I've come to realize that cylinder heads aren't cheap no matter what you do....buy used heads for a good price? Count on spending double if not triple the original price you paid to have them checked, and if needed rebuilt to be useable.

Right now I'm porting my spare lower intake. Gasket matching and getting rid of as much unnecessary material in the bends of the runners as possible, making the straightest shot into the cylinder that I can get without wrecking the thing. It is slow goin because I'm using a cheap shitty dremel.....soon I will upgrade to a less cheap but probably still kinda shitty dremel and things will go a bit faster.

This is really an experiment and learning experience for me. I might pull the stock heads off and clean them up and put them back on for now since it's not burning oil.

the combo will likely be:

lopo bottom end
          ported upper/lower HO intakes, 60mm tb
          ported E6 heads (E7 or GT40 if I can find a workable set, I would prefer either)
          19lb injectors, 95 cobra cam & computer to match

I am doing this with absolutely no expectations and nothing invested except my time and whatever I can find useable cylinder heads for.

In the future when I've got steady decent income (student at the moment) I will put some real parts on it. Realistically I'm just using up old stuff I have laying around until I can afford good stuff.
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
            Nothing, just mustangs got forged parts from 90-92 if I'm thinking correct on the years.

92 was the only year for forged in the mustang.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
              92 was the only year for forged in the mustang.
              the only forged parts were the pistons, as far as i know and the pistons were made from 88-90 something or other
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                I still have the stock heads on there. I've come to realize that cylinder heads aren't cheap no matter what you do....buy used heads for a good price? Count on spending double if not triple the original price you paid to have them checked, and if needed rebuilt to be useable.

Right now I'm porting my spare lower intake. Gasket matching and getting rid of as much unnecessary material in the bends of the runners as possible, making the straightest shot into the cylinder that I can get without wrecking the thing. It is slow goin because I'm using a cheap shitty dremel.....soon I will upgrade to a less cheap but probably still kinda shitty dremel and things will go a bit faster.

This is really an experiment and learning experience for me. I might pull the stock heads off and clean them up and put them back on for now since it's not burning oil.

the combo will likely be:

lopo bottom end
                ported upper/lower HO intakes, 60mm tb
                ported E6 heads (E7 or GT40 if I can find a workable set, I would prefer either)
                19lb injectors, 95 cobra cam & computer to match

I am doing this with absolutely no expectations and nothing invested except my time and whatever I can find useable cylinder heads for.

In the future when I've got steady decent income (student at the moment) I will put some real parts on it. Realistically I'm just using up old stuff I have laying around until I can afford good stuff.

Perhaps you can look at the classifieds in corral.net or sbftech.com (if you have not already been doing so). I heard that you can find pretty good deals on 5.0L parts.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                  the only forged parts were the pistons, as far as i know and the pistons were made from 88-90 something or other
                  86-93, but 86 were flat top and I think it changed over sometime in 1993. Don't quite remember how to tell, but theres some way to determine by the color of the oil pan or some bs. In reality though, unless you are doing something more radical than an NA engine, its not required that you have forged pistons. Hypers are perfectly adequate for most builds that don't involve boost or spray, but they will tolerate limited amounts of either. The stock cast pistons are most useful as ashtrays and bolt cans.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post

I purchased a used 92 block just because that was the only year forged pistons were used. I turned down 90 91 and 93 short blocks for that reason. Up to 91 cast, 93 and up hi silicone

I belive the last forged cranks were in the Boss 302s and Boss 429s .. dont think the Boss 351 was. Unless one bought the NASCAR Boss 351 from down under short block a mear 465.00 back then.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      The stock cast pistons are most useful as ashtrays and bolt cans.
                      :lol:

I've seen this... on more than a few occasions. Even a few polished up as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I looked at a cast Cobra intake a while back. I didnt like it much. Big runners and a small plenum in compairison. The ports openings are to large for E7 heads unless there port matched. They are matched to DOVE and GT40s.
                        I would perfer the Preformer or Performer RPM. I also prefer the performer with the removable cap to the upper so you can get inside the upper plenum. These intakes also match up with the E7 heads and others using the 302 heads.

Didnt like the looks of the Explorer intkae much either. I did like the looks of an intke ford originaly designed for the explorer. It sat on a shelf in a back room for about a year could have walked out with it but I am not that way.
                        Last edited by turbo2256b; 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X