boring out a block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    so the stroke doesn't dictate I put certain heads on?

I remember being given a very vague explanation of a 383 stroker...the guy said it was a 350 with 400 heads?
    Its a 350 with a 400 crank.

But that doesn't mean you can put a 351 crank in a 302... :p... it just doesn't work that way with Fords.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
      Its a 350 with a 400 crank.

But that doesn't mean you can put a 351 crank in a 302... :p... it just doesn't work that way with Fords.
      It does with the 351W. You can put a 400 crank in a 351W block. Not quites as simple as doing it with a Chevy 350, but any competent machine shop can do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
        It does with the 351W. You can put a 400 crank in a 351W block. Not quites as simple as doing it with a Chevy 350, but any competent machine shop can do so.
        Is there an atvantage to doing this vs buying an aftermarket stroker crank ?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Is there an atvantage to doing this vs buying an aftermarket stroker crank ?
          Cost savings if you have a friend doing the machine work for dirt cheap. These days you can get a cast stroker crank for a reasonable price. Back in the 80s and early 90s you heard more of people using 400 cranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
            Cost savings if you have a friend doing the machine work for dirt cheap. These days you can get a cast stroker crank for a reasonable price. Back in the 80s and early 90s you heard more of people using 400 cranks.
            the internet really has changed things up.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
              the internet really has changed things up.
              Not even that. The explosion of parts and racing events in the late 1990s really drove the market to develop such things.

Comment

Didn't that one guy have a 347 with stock e6's and was running 16's? I lol'd at him.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Didn't that one guy have a 347 with stock e6's and was running 16's? I lol'd at him.
                  that's awesome
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ah, I had a feeling the cost was the issue. I'd imagine now you'd have a harder time even finding a 400 to strip a crank from.

Someone put together a 347 with stock E6 heads? What a horrible idea.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had a guy bore a block for me once. "And then when I was five ....."

Re the comment on modifying a bore to reduce valve shrouding, is that something that's ever done on a factory SBF block? Because SFAIK, with a SBF things can get sketchy by .040 over, so as far as actual bore diameter you always want the minimum overbore necessary to clean up the cylinder walls, and so I'd think deliberately thinning the walls further near the valves could be asking for a lot of trouble.

When the boring guy got done with my block, the only thing I worried about was to order pistons, rings, and bearings in the correct size (in this case, .030 over for pistons and rings, and .010/.010 under for bearings).
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        I had a guy bore a block for me once. "And then when I was five ....."

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Yeah, he was a very boring guy. Once he got started yapping, you'd be stuck for an hour or more.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post

Stock heads and lopo intake... 347 AND a 5 speed! And yes mid 16's. I ran 16.0's with a stock lopo motor!
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              It all depends on the castings too, how much meat are in them. I heard the best 302 blocks were found in Mexico.
                              There are no 'best 302 blocks', lol. The best stopgap 302 block is the Boss 302 casting from 69-70....and even then, it's barely on par with a regular 351W unit.

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                              Stock heads and lopo intake... 347 AND a 5 speed! And yes mid 16's. I ran 16.0's with a stock lopo motor!
                              You don't understand. He's trying to build the slowest Box of all time, using the biggest 302-based engine possible with a stock block.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                                There are no 'best 302 blocks', lol. The best stopgap 302 block is the Boss 302 casting from 69-70....and even then, it's barely on par with a regular 351W unit..
                                Ford does not have the confidence in a "factory" production 351W that you do if you are placing it above a Boss 302 block. A Boss 351 block however is nearly worthless.

Comment

Working...
                                X