Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

update on 5 speed/306 swap! pics of trans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About those MCs and boosters. . . ABS and non-ABS aero vics used 2 different booster and MC combos which are incompatible with one another. Sounds like one is backwards compatible and the other isn't. From Ford, my ABS MC was painted black. When I pulled a non-ABS unit that I later found to be incompatible, it was silver and, IIRC aluminum as opposed to my iron MC.
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

well guys, its been a while again, but i have some good news! the engine is going to be a 347 stroker, i'm still doing the 5 speed swap and going with a carb setup, most likely a holley demon 770, that should make this big boat boogie! i'm uploading pics of the block, will post a link soon! i hope all is well in merc town!

Nick

Comment

a few pics of when i was putting the stock crank in, then decided that for what it would cost to get new rods and pistons because the ones i got for free were no good, i decided to go with a stroker kit instead

Comment

Nice!!! Might as well get the most out of that 5.0L What are you using for heads? In any event, it looks like you're building a nice cruiser. Can't wait to see it finished.

Packman

Comment

Looking good man.

What cam are you running?

I wouldn't be putting any stock Ford heads on there, no way. AFR 205s
            Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

not sure on the head selection yet, i want to get the whole bottom end buttoned up first. all thats left after the stroker kit is oil pump, oil pan, timing chain and front cover, as for the cam i'm still not quite positive on what i'm going to do there, still doing some research, i've never built an engine from the ground up before so i want to make sure everything matches and i get a nice linear output graph in terms of hp/tq, i'm hoping for close to 400/400 at the crank but like i said i never built an engine before so i don't know if thats even possible on what i'm building! i do plan on going with electric fans and remote electric fuel pump so i'll save a few ponies there.

Nick

Comment

With 347 CID and the right heads/cam you could do that.

www.sbftech.com is a great website (if you don't know about it already) and you would be able to find lots of info about making power over there.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Some trick flow twisted wedge fast as cast 190's would make that machine boogie nicely. Don't skimp on the heads and don't be afraid to go "big" as far as common knowledge is concerned.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

definitely go big. perhaps talk to someone that can custom grind you a cam for your purposes and desired engine components
                    sigpic

Comment

Did I miss the part about this motor being a dedicated high-rpm race motor? Otherwise AFR205's and the like are far over-kill. AFR165's would be perfect, but depending on piston selection, there should be room for the 2.02 intake valves used in the AFR185's.....the 185's are VERY happy supporting 550+hp combos....so I don't see a need for a race head. For a reasonable goal of 400/400, you can keep things fairly mild and the end result will be a fun, fast car that doesn't shake your fillings out at idle or leave you wanting for more bottom end torque.

Good luck,
                      Don
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

347 stroker kit!

k guys and gals, i got the stroker kit in today from summit! i took a bunch of pics during the un-boxing, on monday i'm going to get the pistons and rods to the machine shop to have him assemble them for me, then i'm going to get the block notched for the stroker crank and rods, then BUILD! here are the pics, there are a bunch of them....

lots of pics, on a side note can a mod replace the title to this thread with 347 instead of 306?

more pics to come as assembly starts!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                        X