No announcement yet.

Exhaust suggestions - stock/HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Y's are ideal for truck use, as they increase torque mainly in low-mid rpm range but are not limited to truck use as there are car applications and are often used in street rods. They increase low-mid torque more so than longtubes which is why i'd like to get a set for both my trucks. Longtubes increase torque low-mid as well but not quite as much, and more in high rpm than mid length (Tri-Y) and both increase torque and hp throughout than shorties, and naturally all are better than manifolds.

I wish something other than shorties fit Panthers, I mean shorties are great over manifolds but I like to put the best on as long as i'm going to that trouble. I'd like to get an old set of longtubes off a fullsize Fairlane or Galaxie to test fit on a box, then they could be used on a new motor.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I was looking into getting a set of Tri-Y's from Doug Thorley. It seems they only make truck applications nowadays, unless I am not navigating their website properly. I got some mid-length Tri-Y's for my Malibu way back when, and I loved them. From what I have heard, they are good up to 6500 RPM; which is more than twice what we run in our Panthers. I will see if I can contact them again about this, as I would love to get them for a Ford application. I am thinking possibly a Fairlane in the late 60's might work for us; if any of those cars came with Windsors. I will see what i can scare up.

Packman

Comment

Well, I've only been able to look at my poor mercury while sits patiently waiting for the headers to come in. I figured I might as well do something in the time it will take to receive the BBK's (about another 1.5 week(s)).

I was thinking of taking this opportunity to coat the exhaust pipes. You guys said POR15 was the best? It would be nice if POR15 would work because I can also get started on the frame with it.
        1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Here's some pics of the placement of the headers on my car, some of the pics could be upside down. The 100_1395 or whatever with the ring sticking out is the passenger side. I don't see much problem AT ALL with slightly modifying that square ear that bolts where it is really close. They do look like equal length, but if I have them do a FULL custom exhaust, I see no problem with it working great.
          Attached Files
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
            Well, I've only been able to look at my poor mercury while sits patiently waiting for the headers to come in. I figured I might as well do something in the time it will take to receive the BBK's (about another 1.5 week(s)).

I was thinking of taking this opportunity to coat the exhaust pipes. You guys said POR15 was the best? It would be nice if POR15 would work because I can also get started on the frame with it.
            you want some high heat paint, maing im a fan of 1200-2k deg paint
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I have been so busy with my new job and finals its disgusting... but I'm starting to regret putting in headers.. the BBK headers still hug the transmission casing... and there is still no possible way for me to mount either the dipstick bracket on the drivers side or the air injection tube bracket on the passenger side. The oil dipstick tube will be fine but the air injection tube contacts the headers now since it isn't held in place by a bracket which I'm pretty sure won't work, as the headers would melt the tubing, right...? I'm talking about the tube that goes under the headers, the bend touches them. Looks like I need to find a way to mount that tube connection and get some kind of high heat protection shield for the tubing... fml
              1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

I have been so busy with my new job and finals its disgusting... but I'm starting to regret putting in headers.. the BBK headers still hug the transmission casing... and there is still no possible way for me to mount either the dipstick bracket on the drivers side or the air injection tube bracket on the passenger side. The oil dipstick tube will be fine but the air injection tube contacts the headers now since it isn't held in place by a bracket which I'm pretty sure won't work, as the headers would melt the tubing, right...? I'm talking about the tube that goes under the headers, the bend touches them. Looks like I need to find a way to mount that tube connection and get some kind of high heat protection shield for the tubing... fml
                You have late model box right? They started using that particular setup in 88 I think. If you want to utilize your smog shit, you need the plumbing and such for an 86-97 car. My 86 didn't have that stupid bracket. Thank god, would've made changing spark plugs even more difficult on the passenger side.

Comment

Yea I have the transition year.. its really obnoxious. I don't have the normal expansions tank either and my FSB has Aero body clips... going to have to just make due to get this thing to the shop. I just want to get it working again now. Finals are over next week so that's when I'll be able to pour more time into it.

Comment

you can make your own tube out of aluminum tubing and bend it the way you want it too. i dont have any smog stuff anymore and that thermactor tube is a nusance.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I got the headers in. So it won't damage anything if I drive for like 15-20 minutes to the muffler shop only running headers? I figured it'll be no louder than those obnoxious Harley's around here. Also, there's no potential danger of the exhaust combusting with oil or anything is there? Because that drivers side is totally facing my oil covered transmission. I'll drive there with the smog shit disabled and the O2 sensors off and then pop them both back on after there done.

Comment

there have been some reports of it melting the HVAC stuff.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

bolting up the H/Y pipe at least would be good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wouldn't drive open headers in a car I care about, too much risk of frying stuff or like you said catching a dirty oil covered engine on fire. I did run open headers on my truck for about 15 minutes (all I could stand) but they were longtubes so they came down below the engine, although it did leak oil from the timing cover......
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                              bolting up the H/Y pipe at least would be good.
                              Not possible.

I'll get a tow truck to pick it up.

Comment

Whew! Finally get to post here about the finished product! I took it to the exhaust shop yesterday after finally getting the headers in. Let me go ahead and clear a few problems up I was talking about earlier;
                                1. Towing the car was a SHIT idea. The tow truck was three hours late and when I turned the key at the muffler shop, it really wasn't very loud.... I was babying the car a bit thinking it would ignite/damage something or be to loud. If I was to do this again, I'd just drive it to the shop.
                                2. There is no need to swap around the air injection tubing to a different model/year as suggested. You can easily secure the tubes with zip ties to a part of the upper control arm so that they do not contact the headers and cause potential melting. You can barely tell the ties are there and it solves the problem.
                                3. The oil dipstick bracket (like the air tube bracket) does not fit with the headers (at least in my case). However the tube seems solid enough and I've driven multiple times on the freeway with it, no rattling around, etc.
                                4. Neither the BBK headers or the Pypes come with flanges. The exhaust shop was surprised about this.
                                5. No leaks!!! So far!! 8D!!

I'll talk a bit about the noise; with the headers and complete 2.5" it sounds a LOT better. It doesn't sound nasally and choppy anymore like it did with manifolds. It has a less deeper, but more fierce tone (sounds way better than the mustangs all over the place here). For anyone considering a setup similar to this it WILL wake the neighbors and it WILL most likely piss them off (My neighbors suck anyways and I don't like them). However, its not going to cause hearing damage and shouldn't shake windows or anything. For the most part the resonance is decent. around 57mph on the freeway it hits an obnoxious resonance/drone point but is clear after that specific gear time. This would not be a fun car to drive for hours on the freeway. However, the H in my pipes hasn't been installed yet which might help negate this drone and the air injection system isn't hooked up yet either.

About the performance; there is definitely much more flow through the exhaust, and it gets up and goes a lot better. There's definitely a noticeable positive increase in performance.

I'll post pictures soon and a final sound clip video once the H pipe and air injection has been hooked up. On a related matter, since I have brand new cats, I'm a bit worried about theft now.. anyone know of a good technique to protect them from theft?

~Stealth

Comment

Working...
                                X