Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what IS the best minimum-mod drop-in engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just put a garbage bag on your seat before hand, why pass up an opportunity to make somebody shit themselves?
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
      Just put a garbage bag on your seat before hand, why pass up an opportunity to make somebody shit themselves?
      Because I still have to smell it? Queasy stomach makes me with rank smells like that. But we won't go into any more detail than that...

Comment

You could make him wear depends and a garbage bag. He shits himself, you don't smell it and your car stays clean. Win, win, motherfuckin win. And we can tease him on here for the rest of his life for shitting himself over 240hp.

1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

My old 87 Mustang was pushing 250hp with the mods it had, it was a T5 as well so it could really scoot. An Explorer 302 should be able to pump out 300hp with ease with basic mods, but going through an AOD that'll suck out a lot of the power, which is why autos suck and manuals rock.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Still think a 351C 2V would be the least amoumt of mods for the power
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. Felt like a late-model Police Interceptor. It's a nice improvement, but nothing spectacular. o_o
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                My old 87 Mustang was pushing 250hp with the mods it had, it was a T5 as well so it could really scoot. An Explorer 302 should be able to pump out 300hp with ease with basic mods, but going through an AOD that'll suck out a lot of the power, which is why autos suck and manuals rock.
                I have mentioned this before, but I run 11.30s in my Capri using a factory 91 Mustang AOD with only a valve body and loose converter for mods...

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
                  Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. Felt like a late-model Police Interceptor. It's a nice improvement, but nothing spectacular. o_o
                  That pretty much sums up HO and Explorer swaps. Sure, their a nice improvement over a lopo, but nearly any modern family sedan will put them to shame.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'm not too worried about making a race car out of it, though. If I can see low 14's in the car, I'll be a happy camper.

See, the fun thing about these old cars is, they're viewed by all to be slow as shit - and my '86 actually was pretty slow. So by that logic, the car doesn't have to be absurdly fast to be way faster than anyone expects.

At least I know I won't be underwhelmed with the Explorer HO swap. 7-or-less-second 0-60 and I'll be ready to call it a day. Something tells me that 'stiffening up' the AOD will net me a DRASTIC improvement in 0-60 times, because the stock transmission granny shifts. Am I right on this belief?

John, it also felt like your AOD was holding your Ex-HO back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

For what you're describing, with conservative gearing and converter, i'd say 300 to the wheels is a good number to shoot for.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'm starting to believe a 351 truck motor might be a more suitable fit for the application at hand. More displacement to start off with... or perhaps, I should consider a 302-cum-347? If that's even possible on an EFI engine. No clue how speed-density or mass airflow ECU's respond to stroked engines. @_@

Comment

efi would be easier on a 347 imo, wouldnt worry about hood clearance nearly as much.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'm starting to believe a 351 truck motor might be a more suitable fit for the application at hand. More displacement to start off with... or perhaps, I should consider a 302-cum-347? If that's even possible on an EFI engine. No clue how speed-density or mass airflow ECU's respond to stroked engines. @_@
                            With a stroker, would need to be tuned.

Comment

See, the fun thing about these old cars is, they're viewed by all to be slow as shit - and my '86 actually was pretty slow. So by that logic, the car doesn't have to be absurdly fast to be way faster than anyone expects.
                              This right here is a major flaw in anyone's mod logic. First off, fuck what everybody else will think about your car, fast or slow. They have no clue how fast or slow it was stock, so they will never know how fast or slow it will be in a modified state. Faster than stock is not what you should be shooting for. Set a goal, like you said low 14s, and be happy with that and not because you think everybody's impressed that you made your car suck less, but because that's how fast you told yourself you wanted the car to be. There's always a bigger fish, even in Panther land, so don't ever think you're worth a shit because I can promise you're not. Note: this was not intended to come off as a personal attack.

Comment

So John, is that a confirmation that the computer will work... with a tuner, that is?

CVM289: It's less about the size of my e-peen, and more about having to swat the occasional annoying fly from out of my face. You know, the ghettoed out bubble Civics with EAT SLEEP RACE on the rear window, 10* or MORE of front camber even though they're FWD, 4" or bigger fart cannon, and a penchant to tailgate or race ANYTHING THAT RIDES ON FOUR WHEELS. Those cars run high 15's at BEST. Surprisingly, I was able to beat a lot of them in my little Yaris - imagining just flat out spanking them without the need to powershift or thrash on my drivetrain - in a whisper-quiet GRANDMA MARQUIS - just makes me grin from ear to ear.

But yeah, personal goal is 14.0 seconds on the quarter.
                                Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X