The King...Has Returned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just pulled the engine out.

Some pics. Sorry about the crappy quality, my Ipod takes blurry pictures & my phone takes em too dark.
    Maybe it's time to buy a new camera!?
    Attached Files
    1980 Lincoln Mark VI - Now With New & Improved 4.6L Modular Power!

Comment

it dont take much to rip out the powertrain from these cars. good luck with your swap. im interested in seeing, how it all goes together.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        it dont take much to rip out the powertrain from these cars. good luck with your swap. im interested in seeing, how it all goes together.
        +1

Too bad you're not closer to me... that 351 would fir wonderfully in my 88. and my trans is full of awesome in that car

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Whew! I've been working on the Mark VI every night after work & I got alot done. Here's some stuff:

The engine mount adapter brackets from the CV line up perfectly to the bolt holes on the MK6 frame. But the right bracket on the outer part will either need to be ground off to fit against the frame or a dimple/clearance hole drlled into the frame. I'm going to drill a hole in the frame so I don't compromise the mounting bracket.

The CV transmission cross member is exactly the same as the MK6, just made heavier (stronger?). I'll probably use the CV one. The CV xmember is on the top & right.
          Attached Files

Comment

Whoops...I meant the MK6 trans cross member is on the top & the right.

Comment

I'm a little confused. What are those weird-looking things that look sort of like engine mounts but not really? The ones on the right in the last pic I of course recognize, but I don't think I've seen anything like the ones on the left.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                I'm a little confused. What are those weird-looking things that look sort of like engine mounts but not really? The ones on the right in the last pic I of course recognize, but I don't think I've seen anything like the ones on the left.
                The ones on the right are the original 351 mounts. The ones on the left are the brackets that the 4.6L mounts attach to.

Comment

The CV inner fenders pretty much lined right up in the MK6, but the rear bolt hole is in a different spot. The rear hole on the MK6 inner fender is 22 & 3/4 inches from the front hole. I measured 22 & 3/4 inches back from the front hole on the CV inner fenders & drilled it out with a hole saw. The only problem is under the front of the left front fender the vacuum resovoir for the head lights is mounted. That spot on the CV inner fender is made for the air suspension pump (this CV didn't have air suspension). I'll have to modify it to fit the vacuum resovoir.

On the right side I'm getting rid of the old charcoal canister because the CV canister mounts in the rear of the vehicle, but I'm putting the bracket back in for strength.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Some mods I had to do to the CV heater box:

I cut the main duct off of the MK6 heater box, the I glued it to the CV box & added some brakets for strength.

I used some weatherstripping I bought at Home Depot & it lined up Perfect with the MK6 ducting.
                    Attached Files

Comment

nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had to open up the MK6 computer hole on the firewall to fit the CV computer.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The gas tank from the CV had a hole in it from an unprofessional amplifer install . So I had to buy a new one. I switched all the parts over from the old CV tank to the new one. It's amazing how the MK6 tank & the CV tank are so similar.

I also had to cut a slot out in the radiator support so the air conditioning condensor would fit. Make sure you save the old MK6 lower radiator mounts, you have to use them over (I misplaced the right one thinking I wouldn't need it) the CV lower mounts won't work. But you have use the CV upper radiator mounts. The right upper mount bolts right on. The left one has to be turned a little on an angle to line up properly.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I had to use a hammer & beat the body back a little so the CV fuel filler would fit. I ended up using the tank mounting straps from the MK6, the CV straps are different. Voi-la...the tank fits like it belongs there.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I was only able to use the front half of the fuel/emission lines from the CV. The rear section after the fuel filter didn't fit, I'm guessing because of the different rear suspension. So I mounted the fuel filter with the CV bracket & then I used the ends of the lines that mount on to the sending unit & pieced them together with 5/16 inch fuel injection hose.

The emission lines I connected together with 1/2 inch hose & it fits excellant.

I also drilled the hole in the frame with a hole saw so the right motor mount would fit properly.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Put the engine in. It looks like it was meant to be there!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X