B cam no worky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B cam no worky

Put a b cam in my motor, got the timing all lined up, 351 firing order, i am NOT 180 out. wants to start but will die when i lay off the starter. Any ideas?
    800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

Carb'd? Injected? What motor? What car? If it is injected what ecu?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Yeah gotta know what induction system.

If It's any consolation the B cam isn't that good anyway

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

maybe it's the duel exhaust. Fighting is never good.

Yeah, need a little more info. You cant just slam an aftermarket cam in and expect it to work. Carb or not there is a lot of other stuff needed. With EFI, you need different ecu, injectors, and should have bigger TB and upper intake at a minimum.

And it really won't work well with a speed density efi setup.

Well, a few seconds of serching I found that you have an 89 with a GT40 or explorer intake. You need a mustang ECM, injectors, and with that cam, a mass air conversion. And if all of this is on stock heads...LMAO.....
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if you got speed density i suggest getting a powerful speed density friendly cam. there are a few i hold one for my upcoming motor build a crower 15510.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

if you got anykind of cam, MAF is the way to go. dont bother messing with SD.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

IIRC the problems people were having with SD systems and cams/explorer top ends were running lean and backfiring, but they were at least running. It's definitely not helping the situation if you're still running speed density but I don't think it would keep it from running at all. Could be wrong though, none of those guys used a B cam...not sure what the specs are on them

Sounds like what my car was doing when I fucked up the firing order and ran it clockwise instead of counterclockwise, though. Just a thought. Occam's Razor and shit.
              Last edited by 1990LTD; 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

^good point. these engines will run somewhat. tripple check your timing for a start. then go over spark and fuel. but like said before, is it EFI or carb?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If you pump the crap out of the gas will it run?

I'd also double and triple check the vacuum lines and stuff. if the map sensor isn't connected it'll act stupid. So many things could be wrong after pulling the top end apart.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I am not positive but I dont think that cam with your intake will give you the necessary vacuum at idle (17") or more at idle to operate with SD ECM properly. Might with the stock intake.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Sounds like he's running a stock top end with a stock panther ecm with the incorrect injector firing order for that cam.

Comment

He could rewire the ECMs injector firing order.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                          He could rewire the ECMs injector firing order.
                          He could, however, it would confuse the fuck out of the ECM when it needs to adjust the fuel trim... I don't advise it...

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            He could, however, it would confuse the fuck out of the ECM when it needs to adjust the fuel trim... I don't advise it...

I have repined the ECM on several of my cars and some others and have seen no side affects. Driven mine for over 100K. Talked with several Ford calibrators that stated the programig in the older ECMs wouldnt know the differance. Got excelent economy. Might do it again on Casper if the opertunity presents itself.

Comment

The stock ECM is also designed to fire a 14# injector, which isn't nearly enough.

And yes, the programming will know the difference in a sequential system. Not in batch fire, but on batch fire you'd never need to rewire it. On the other hand, honestly the injector firing isn't super critical. If it fires when the valve isn't open, the fuel simply puddles on the back of the intake valve until it opens. Its not optimal since you have no atomization to speak of, but it won't make an engine not run because of it. You may get a slightly rough idle, but thats about the worst of it. The fact that it won't idle at all is not likely because the injector order is different than the ignition order.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X