No announcement yet.

B cam no worky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the other note from the ford motorsport catalog back in the day was "5speed use only"

point being, beyond the fact that it just dumps fuel from a low vacuum reading at the map, you could put a carb on it and it will still be somewhat of a dog until about 4000rpm, with the factory lockup still intact in the AOD, its just all bad. not to mention a low speed governor shifts at like 4300rpm

Comment

I will also add Joel5.0 is a pretty smart cat, everything he said is 100% true

Comment

there is no lockup in an AOD its a direct drive trans.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Fight! Fight! Fight!

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
            there is no lockup in an AOD its a direct drive trans.
            If you want to get technical about it, 3rd and 4th are lock up gears, since the case of the torque converter is driving the other input shaft.

Direct drive would be a ratio of 1:1. which would be 3rd gear. But that would be any 4 speed auto transmission with overdrive. Lockup would indicate no torque multiplication from the torque converter.
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 02-15-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              If you want to get technical about it, 3rd and 4th are lock up gears, since the case of the torque converter is driving the other input shaft.

Direct drive would be a ratio of 1:1. which would be 3rd gear. But that would be any 4 speed auto transmission with overdrive. Lockup would indicate no torque multiplication from the torque converter.
              An AOD splits the torque path between the locked up inner shaft and the outer shaft. Only OD is a true 100% direct drive.

Comment

I have always been told the converter locks in 3rd and 4th. maybe my sources are incorrect

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                  An AOD splits the torque path between the locked up inner shaft and the outer shaft. Only OD is a true 100% direct drive.
                  I don't mean to argue, but I was under the impression that direct drive meant, the amount of torque from the input shaft is the same that comes out of the output shaft. A 1:1 gear ratio. Whereas overdrive has less torque.

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                    I have always been told the converter locks in 3rd and 4th. maybe my sources are incorrect
                    I can provide more detailed data later, but you only have partial information. The clutch is locked in both 3rd and 4th gears but the drum is not held stationary so there is a split torque path within the transmission.
                    Part of your confusion may lay in the fact that the converter has no clutch internally. The lock-up clutch is within the transmission itself.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      I don't mean to argue, but I was under the impression that direct drive meant, the amount of torque from the input shaft is the same that comes out of the output shaft. A 1:1 gear ratio. Whereas overdrive has less torque.
                      In general terms, direct drive can be used to indicate a 1:1 ratio. Direct drive in relation to a torque converter infers that there is no slippage. When in 3rd gear, there is still some amount of slippage due to the planetary gearing and the split torque path. Some amount of torque is still being transferred through the hollow shaft from the converter turbine.

Comment

Still with sd I recieved a big performance boost at all Rpms
                        800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

Comment

just a question if I may- noone has ever made 19's work succesfully?

Ive put 24's in a few SD mustangs and got them to run perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmashotrod View Post
                            Still with sd I recieved a big performance boost at all Rpms
                            I guess over the lopo cam thats not entirely hard to beleive. I bet a stock HO cam would have better midrange

Comment

Just as an update. H.o. Swap is complete, I used an 86 comp and it idles real smooth and drives very nice. Maf swap is next on the list then gt40 intake and heads. Thanks for the Info guys
                              800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

Comment

Working...
                              X