Used Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Headers

Hey, I'm looking at some used headers on CL. Is there anything I should beware of when purchasing headers used?

I actually found a great deal (I think) on some 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated BBKs, $75, only thing is 2 of the studs are broken on the H-pipe side (outlets). Are these easy to replace?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/2803228458.html

There's the link. Any help would be much appreciated. I plan to buy a gasket/bolt kit to install if I get them.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 02-19-2012, 11:45 AM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Those look wrong. Aren't they mid length headers?
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Those look like truck headers. I ran into the same problem locally. Someone selling truck headers as Mustang headers.

Comment

Seller texted me back after I googled them to try to figure by eyeball what they are, seems my guess and his info say they're BBK (duh, stamped on them) 15150, $300 set of ceramic coated headers new @ Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-15150/?rtype=10 Should I jump on 'em? Seems like a pretty good deal.

1980c10 texted me about the guy who bought the headers and exhaust off the '91 before I got to it, and said he has or could probably find something that would work, but these seem like a decent deal & they're local.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
          Seller texted me back after I googled them to try to figure by eyeball what they are, seems my guess and his info say they're BBK (duh, stamped on them) 15150, $300 set of ceramic coated headers new @ Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-15150/?rtype=10 Should I jump on 'em? Seems like a pretty good deal.
          The picture of the 15150 does not match the CL picture. Those are not the same headers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
            The picture of the 15150 does not match the CL picture. Those are not the same headers.
            I think you are mistaken , they look the same to me . Different photographic angle though
            sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by hypostang View Post
              I think you are mistaken , they look the same to me . Different photographic angle though
              Look at the tube path for the #5 cylinder on both pictures. I would ask for more pics if I were purchasing them.

Comment

More pics would certainly help
                sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

+1 ... looks at a glance like something is wonky with the collector flange.

And yes, the studs are reasonably easy to replace. Rent the metric stud-puller kit from AutoZone for extra ease of proceedings.

I've attached pics of some rusty 1511s for what it's worth.
                  Attached Files
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The guy lowered the price on them to $50, so I think I'm going to buy them. He says they're "unpolished, ceramic coated headers from Summit" & they look like they are 15150's just not shiny like the pics on summit's site. The under-over-under-over pipe configuration looks the same, the BBK stamping/emboss looks to be in about the same place. If they work, they work. If I hear back from him and go get them I'll post better pics here.

Comment

Well, I almost went up to Akron to get those ceramic coated used headers... but then an ad popped up on Craigslist for a NEW set of shorty mustang headers! They're PYPES http://m.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-HDR52S and they've never been installed. $264 + tax new, I got them from a guy for $100 cash. No gaskets, but that's no big deal.Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-23-205624.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1268644 There they are, sorry about the cruddy pic, best my netbook cam could do.

Comment

oooooo... shiny

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice, those will look nice on there.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

nice! that's a meaty flange. looks like high quality.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

On Summit site it says they're for '94 Cobra, '94-'95 GT or '95 GTS but I found a thread on a Mustang board when I was googling that they have no problems fitting on '91-'93 Foxes. Will let you know how install goes eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X