351w cam and torque converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351w cam and torque converter

Hey guys. I have a few questions about what should I use and will work the best with what I want to do.

First off the jasper engine I have is in a 84 f250 that im going to use. I definitely would like to go with a bigger cam than what it has but nothing seriously big. Just enough to be able to hear it a bit. Just to give it a good sound. I don't really have any plans for the heads except for what's already on it. What would be a good cam setup for what I have in mind? This is going in my 89. I do have edelbrock intake for the motor and that 600 carb. I will definitely pick up some shorty headers as well. Since this is an old cop car its not going to be fast don't plan for it to be but look like a old cop car and sound good.

Secondly the torque converter. Im still using the old aod style that's in it. I have a fresh rebuilt one. What stall torque converter should I get and what kind? I know they're different brands and different prices but what should I go with? This is the first time that im going to put something together. I know some of you have a great experience from your own vehicles. I am saving up for this and going to do it. I enjoy my car and im going to keep it. It'll never be worth selling it to me.

I have some old police rims and dog dish hubcaps that im going put on my car for that look. But first thing im going to do is paint job. I know a good couple grand cause quarter panel needs work and I want it done right. Im tired of that old dry thin paint that I have to wash every other weekend so it doesn't get that dry crack look. I want it to look good first then have the motor ready to install to go along with the looks.

Im just going for that kinda stock look but with the motor somewhat modified. Not going to drag race it or take it to the strip. Just to ride around town in and maybe peel a tire back every now and then. Cause it sure as hell won't do it now if my life depended
    on it.

You guys always have great ideas and suggestions on this stuff. Because like I said I dont have any experience on building something. Its not like a mustang that you would spend thousands on the motor to get that every second atthe the drag strip. I appreciate you guys help.

Personally, i would go with a dual-pattern high lift, short duration cam. Itll give u plenty of low end torque to get the car moving without revving it too much. These types of cams are used mostly in trucks and towing vehicles for pulling power while still getting decent mileage. Some are a cam/lifter/spring kit, but some can be used with stock springs. You'd just have to read the specs. I can't make any specific recomendations without a Summit catalog in front of me, but i think the Crane Powermax cams might be where you should look. Most can be used with a stock convertor, too, I think and stock heads with good results. I like dual-pattern cams in small Fords because they have problems breathing on the exhaust side
    1992 SHO(what's left of it)
    1986 F-150(rust and option free)
    1950 Studebaker pickup(moves-kinda, stops-no)
    1987 T-bird(dead 3.wait, SHO swap in store)
    1991 CV $500 cream puffF

Comment

the edelbrock performer is a great mild cam. bigger lift with less duration=torque. i think summit has one that its 448/472 lift
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

for a tourqe converter i suggest alan over at dirty dog, and i believe doug over at vanstrom performance has a wolverine cam that will work quite nice in your 351 build, link is the logos in my sig. call them up and talk to them, alan also has a 351 for sale it has pretty much everythiing to make a .030 over 351 only thing he doesnt have is the cam.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Further on the topic of the torque convertor, if it is a c4, what size does the flexplate and convertor need to be? Will an aod flexplate fit a c4?

And for cam, will both of these work and not have PTV clearance issues?

Blane
          85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
          09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
          79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
          64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Working...
          X