Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maf swap walkthrough. Advice needed

I finally found a mad harness meter and computer, now
    comes instalation. Is this a plug and play? The writeups on the mustang sites are kind of confusing and don't explain why certain wires need to be spliced. Can anyone explain the process if it's more than plug and play? Thanks
    800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

sure.
    Here's a few things you need to do to make the ECM happy in it's new home! you're putting in.
    You will need to drill the connector to add the holes for the pins
    You need to move the smog solenoid wiring to different pins in the harness. TAD from pin 11 to pin 32 TAB from pin 52 to pin 31
    The wire originally from pin 31 is moved to pin 11.
    Now you need to add the FPM wire (fuel pump monitor) which you attach from the wire that feeds your fuel pump to pin 19.
    You'll then need to add to extra pins to the harness Pin 50 for MAF SIG and Pin 9 for MAF RTN.
    http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=6 pics of the MAF connector pin out. The red wire gets attached to the switched side of the EEC power relay. Give the black wire a good ground and you now have a MAF wiring harness.

Comment

the splices are to feed power to certain things. The MAF has 4 wires, a hot, a ground, and 2 signals outputs. You splice in the hot and ground wires. The others go to pins on the ECM connector. One of them is currently used by something, so you have to move that wire someplace else. The fuel pump monitor wire is not critical, but you get some code about secondary fuel pump circuit failure if you don't hook it up.

Also of note, depending on the year, you may need to wire in the VSS. If you have an 88 or later, you're good to go. On the 88+ cars, you do lose cruise control unless you do some other work.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

is the maf sensor from a 95 good to me if i do a swap? it's in the air tube i harvested from the aero parts car i had. i figure since i'll be doing more modding i should go for it.

doesn't seem too difficult. do i need to swap those smog wires around if i'm not running any smog gear? i'm thinking i would need to.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Also, your engine must be that of the H.O. configuration......like firing order etc.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Also, make sure your ECM isn't bad, and don't waste hours of frustration until you realize that was the problem all along.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              is the maf sensor from a 95 good to me if i do a swap? it's in the air tube i harvested from the aero parts car i had. i figure since i'll be doing more modding i should go for it.

doesn't seem too difficult. do i need to swap those smog wires around if i'm not running any smog gear? i'm thinking i would need to.
              It'll work, but it isn't ideal. Ideally you want the MAF that matches the ECM. For proper MAF transfer rate.

Comment

Could I just take the whole engine bay harness from a mustang an plug it in? O.O
                800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmashotrod View Post
                  Could I just take the whole engine bay harness from a mustang an plug it in? O.O
                  No, and why would you? You have to add like 4 wires and move a few pins.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

1995 what? 95 Mustang has the right transfer curve. 95 other things, not so much but it will work.

and the Fox wiring harness doesn't fit at all. ECM and battery are on opposite sides vs the Vic, and the engine bay is a lot narrower. It won't lay in there worth a damn. Modding the harness is a lot easier than you're thinking it is. I modded a spare harness for my car and swapped the whole thing in. I've had the entire harness in and out of my car I think 4 times now.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      1995 what? 95 Mustang has the right transfer curve. 95 other things, not so much but it will work.

and the Fox wiring harness doesn't fit at all. ECM and battery are on opposite sides vs the Vic, and the engine bay is a lot narrower. It won't lay in there worth a damn. Modding the harness is a lot easier than you're thinking it is. I modded a spare harness for my car and swapped the whole thing in. I've had the entire harness in and out of my car I think 4 times now.
                      He said 95 aero parts car so I assumed his Crown Vic he scrapped. And does that 4 times include the time we ran my car off of your harness?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

yeah john is right, I meant the 95 crown vic I had. I just left the MAF in the zip tube when I pulled it out.
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yeah john is right, I meant the 95 crown vic I had. I just left the MAF in the zip tube when I pulled it out.
                          Any MAF will work. Just the results may not be the best you could get. I tuned my car for a proper transfer rate with my '94 T bird 4.6 MAF.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            Any MAF will work. Just the results may not be the best you could get. I tuned my car for a proper transfer rate with my '94 T bird 4.6 MAF.

I see. Is there a list of ECUs that I can use anywhere? Auto/mass air
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              And does that 4 times include the time we ran my car off of your harness?
                              yes.

I see. Is there a list of ECUs that I can use anywhere? Auto/mass air

The suitable ones are basically 89-93 Mustang. Auto ECM is preferred with an automatic transmission, and just for GP I'd avoid California crap. Don't know whats actually different about it, but if its like typical California-specific stuff it won't be helpful. If you're in for a lot of rewiring, you can expand that to 94-95 Mustang and 92-94 Tbird and Couger but its a very significant amount of wiring harness work to use those ECMs.

Comment

Working...
                              X